The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gen 7 Celica Seats

dandan

I am considering buying a set of leather Celica seats to go in my Supe. At the moment I have OEM Recaros in there but I need to get a lower seating position really and I think these Celica ones will give me a chance to do that. I've been sitting on the Recaros for 7 years :D but am finally giving in to the fact that I need somethng lower so my head doesn't get quite so close to the roof so I can avoid hunching all the time.

Has anyone ever fitted Celica seats or does anyone have a Celica that they might take a few measurements off for me?

Cheers

Dan

Celica Seats.JPG

If you find the Recaro's high I think you might find everything else higher. Is it OEM subframes you have in the car? The reason I ask is that I think aftermarket ones are higher. I bought some aftermarket seats a few months back and I had to duck down with them in. I'm fine with stock seats and I'm fine with Recaros, I'm 6'5.

Wow thanks for all the replies fellas, I'll get something posted up about specific measurements once I've had a look at mine and jotted a few things down. I wasn't expecting such a positive response so you've all suprised me. :thanks:

Ibrar - they look great, can you point anything specific out about the install? Were they on Supra subframes.

Scott, if the OEM Recaros are the lowest "bum height" reclining seat out there then that is a real shame. Everything about mine is bone stock OEM so maybe I have nothing to gain by looking elsewhere. I can fit in no problem and when sitting like any normal person I don't have any headroom problems.....like I said I've been happily sitting on them for 7 years.

Thing is, I ripped one of my ribs away from the cartilage at the front lower part of my chest and it is the slowest healing, not to mention most painful, injury I've ever had. If I sit for any length of time then I have to be 100% bolt upright in that really hard to maintain "lumbar pushed back into the seat, shoulders back, stretch the spine, chest out position" :D Unless I sit like that I get all sorts of stiffness and pain after about 45-60mins so somehow I do need to do something or else the Supra starts slipping down the list when longer journeys crop up :(

I'm scouting around for lower options - an inch lower would make a world of difference, half an inch would be a really big improvement too. I was hoping I could graft the Celica ones in and get them nice and low. That way I get black leather to match everything else, I get my lower seat, I don't need to modify my Recaros or subframes, plus the dodgy Recaro trim can take a temporary leave of absence :D

Yeah I know what you mean bud, I'm not in a similar position health wise but I am height wise. I can't sit bolt upright in them, but I can't sit upright in any seats I have been in with a Supra.

Looking at styles I think stock seats are very comparible to bum height on the Recaros. I will try a side by side at the weekend as I am working on a mates car.

The ONLY seat I have seen that I think could potentially be lower are the Bride Gias. They really do look silly low.

Wow thanks for all the replies fellas, I'll get something posted up about specific measurements once I've had a look at mine and jotted a few things down. I wasn't expecting such a positive response so you've all suprised me. :thanks:

Ibrar - they look great, can you point anything specific out about the install? Were they on Supra subframes.

Scott, if the OEM Recaros are the lowest "bum height" reclining seat out there then that is a real shame. Everything about mine is bone stock OEM so maybe I have nothing to gain by looking elsewhere. I can fit in no problem and when sitting like any normal person I don't have any headroom problems.....like I said I've been happily sitting on them for 7 years.

Thing is, I ripped one of my ribs away from the cartilage at the front lower part of my chest and it is the slowest healing, not to mention most painful, injury I've ever had. If I sit for any length of time then I have to be 100% bolt upright in that really hard to maintain "lumbar pushed back into the seat, shoulders back, stretch the spine, chest out position" :D Unless I sit like that I get all sorts of stiffness and pain after about 45-60mins so somehow I do need to do something or else the Supra starts slipping down the list when longer journeys crop up :(

I'm scouting around for lower options - an inch lower would make a world of difference, half an inch would be a really big improvement too. I was hoping I could graft the Celica ones in and get them nice and low. That way I get black leather to match everything else, I get my lower seat, I don't need to modify my Recaros or subframes, plus the dodgy Recaro trim can take a temporary leave of absence :D

I removed the spot welded tabs of the Supra seat subframes and welded them onto the celica seat subframes, the dimensions were almost identical, I think! :think:

My mate Sean is 6' 5 and am sure he said the seating position was lower, I will ask him.

I have oem recaros in my supe and they sit a fair bit higher than the recaros in my wifes supe. Hers were a retro fit and have different frames and are considerably lower. They were purchased from a forum member I will have a look and see if I can find the thread detailing the frames.

• 4 weeks later...
I removed the spot welded tabs of the Supra seat subframes and welded them onto the celica seat subframes, the dimensions were almost identical, I think! :think:

My mate Sean is 6' 5 and am sure he said the seating position was lower, I will ask him.

Did you get a chance to ask him yet Ibrar?

Also, do you remember what you did about airbags? As I understand it the Celica seats have airbags in the sides!

Any chance of a step by step guide if and when you do this please.

Will do my friend. :thumbs:

I have oem recaros in my supe and they sit a fair bit higher than the recaros in my wifes supe. Hers were a retro fit and have different frames and are considerably lower. They were purchased from a forum member I will have a look and see if I can find the thread detailing the frames.

That's interesting, there may well be hope yet for a lower seating position then. Please let me know if you find anything out about the frames etc.

in a way dan i wished you had never posted this.....id given up on recaros from evo's via ebay as i was sick of the them going for £500 every time on ebay and was quietly lurking and bidding on gen 7's on ebay. after you posted on these seats the average price on them went from £100 to now all having instant buys of £225 and it seems to be one scrapper in manchester area has the market sewn up with instant buys