The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing rear quatre glass

evinX

So ive seen a few threads but havnt got much info, how did you guys remove it in one peice? and what technique did you use? not forking out for a window guy to come over becuase im on a budget, but if im told how to do it properly im sure i can do this. :help: :please:

So ive seen a few threads but havnt got much info, how did you guys remove it in one peice? and what technique did you use? not forking out for a window guy to come over becuase im on a budget, but if im told how to do it properly im sure i can do this. :help: :please:

You need to undo the 3 nuts then cut the sealer that bonds it in, DO NOT push on the glass to get it out as it will break, without the correct tool these are a nitemare to get out.

i used some piano wire and a long sharp blade when i removed mine BUT it took me hours to do.

time is no problem, i hear the push and pull technique can dig up the rubber? what blade did you use, so i can get one:)

cheers fellas

I thought the quarters where (originally) just held in with the 3 bolts? I didn't know that they also had sealent in there as the bolts would pull the rubber sest tight?

There is no rubber seal the bolts are there to hold the glass tight while the sealant does its job;)

There is no rubber seal the bolts are there to hold the glass tight while the sealant does its job;)

I think it's actually plastic (top right of the pic) but I thought that outside bit was pulled tight by the bolts, which created the seal? Obviously better to have sealant in there mind?

Not a hope bud a window chap struggeld for 1.5 hrs to get mine out without destroying it or the paintwork. :blink:

I would advise that this is not a diy job but for pros only.

hi there this is a rite pig of a job!!! as a worked for autoglass for 10 years its still not easy trust me lol

first of all to do it prop you need some square wire and some t-handels or mole grips covered with masking tape as people say you need to undo the nuts on the window to release it from the bodywork but it wont come out because its pur glued to the bodywork to make it water tight and as people say yes the nuts are only there to hold tight as pur sets and drys

here gos first use lots of masking tape around the window to protect your paintwork!!! your need it trust me!!!

run your wire from the top around the window from the out side leaving about 2 foot extra so you can work with it (may need a small screwdriver just to get it right under the plastic be carefull as easy to scratch and if you chip it or crack it its f*@ked as its CAN NOT BE REPLACED!!! its molded around the window as one unit) wrap wire around handels or mole grips and squirt lots of soapy water where the wireis as its needed for lube (ooh err lol) with a sea-saw move rock the wire flat to the bodywork or it will damage plastic or paintwork (be awere the wire may snap) keep doing it till the pur glue as been totally cut and remove the window

the other way is with a long blade from inside but you still need to squirt soapy water in there to made the blade slide or it WILL keep brakin on you and theres not alot of room in there so bloody hard work beleave me

if its only gonna cost you about 60-70 quid then i would pay it as its gonna cost you a hell of alot more to replace it if you brake it

if you got time on your hands then go very slowly and KEEP lookig where your wire IS CUTTING if any probs shout and i will try to help out

hi there this is a rite pig of a job!!! as a worked for autoglass for 10 years its still not easy trust me lol

first of all to do it prop you need some square wire and some t-handels or mole grips covered with masking tape as people say you need to undo the nuts on the window to release it from the bodywork but it wont come out because its pur glued to the bodywork to make it water tight and as people say yes the nuts are only there to hold tight as pur sets and drys

here gos first use lots of masking tape around the window to protect your paintwork!!! your need it trust me!!!

run your wire from the top around the window from the out side leaving about 2 foot extra so you can work with it (may need a small screwdriver just to get it right under the plastic be carefull as easy to scratch and if you chip it or crack it its f*@ked as its CAN NOT BE REPLACED!!! its molded around the window as one unit) wrap wire around handels or mole grips and squirt lots of soapy water where the wireis as its needed for lube (ooh err lol) with a sea-saw move rock the wire flat to the bodywork or it will damage plastic or paintwork (be awere the wire may snap) keep doing it till the pur glue as been totally cut and remove the window

the other way is with a long blade from inside but you still need to squirt soapy water in there to made the blade slide or it WILL keep brakin on you and theres not alot of room in there so bloody hard work beleave me

if its only gonna cost you about 60-70 quid then i would pay it as its gonna cost you a hell of alot more to replace it if you brake it

if you got time on your hands then go very slowly and KEEP lookig where your wire IS CUTTING if any probs shout and i will try to help out

I thought the quarters where (originally) just held in with the 3 bolts? I didn't know that they also had sealent in there as the bolts would pull the rubber sest tight?

Obviously there is, or water would get in...

Abz, thanks for that, got plenty of those, nice:)

Not a hope bud a window chap struggeld for 1.5 hrs to get mine out without destroying it or the paintwork. :blink:

I would advise that this is not a diy job but for pros only.

Im on my way to being a pro:D

I can do this, im painting my supra myself...

you want one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windscreen-Removal-Tool-Glass-Bonding-SCREEN-CUTTER-/370158338403?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item562f280163#ht_585wt_911

if you use the wire you will damage the glass trim,ive seen it done on many cars

but i did mine with a knife as above,takes about half hour n several blades per window

Nice one bud! thanks

you want one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windscreen-Removal-Tool-Glass-Bonding-SCREEN-CUTTER-/370158338403?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item562f280163#ht_585wt_911

if you use the wire you will damage the glass trim,ive seen it done on many cars

but i did mine with a knife as above,takes about half hour n several blades per window

Same here took mine out myself using a knife....just take your time;)

I'm not saying I'm right, but if the bolts pulled the outer plastic trim sufficiently tight into the window recess to creat a suitable seal then why would water get in? :rolleyes:

That would work, but this is from toyota, guess that wouldnt have been good enough, even so, if it was just that rubber that provided a water tight seal, after a few years it would of loosened, rubber would of dried up a bit (pulling back to the glass) leaving a gap;)