The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Law on number plates

Justin

So are our import cars allowed to have these tiny plates or not?

Are you legally allowed to display the plate on your dash?

How come sticker plates are illegal if you see them on minis and Jaguars?

I hate having front plates but don't want to risk not having one at all like some on here. If I get stopped for being naughty having no plate as well might tip the balance for a bobby who is deciding whether to be nice or mean.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm#import

Anyone know the options that fit in with the law?

Originally posted by Justin

I did mate, keep your hair on! Is this website a search database or a discussion forum.:conf:

LOL!

Glad you brought it up though because I've been thinking how I hate my front plate lately. Something is certainly going to be done about it when my Jap bumper comes - I'm going to 'foget' it until I get pulled by a copper.

After my run in with the law and my attempt to argue the point that you're trying to make [are smaller number plates legal?] the answer was a definite 'no'.

I wrote to the DVLA and queried it and they sent me the current legislation and details of which vehicles had to have the full sized plates, and I'm afraid that because the Japanese imports meet the european vehicle type approval then they have to have the full sized ones. :mad:

As for sticker plates, I interperated to law to allow for these as long as they are at a high enough angle to face forward. (Can't remember off the top of my head what the angle was, but say if you were to put in on a similar angle as to where the bonnet vent would be... this would be too flat).

I'm not a fan of front number plates either... they make cars look silly.

Originally posted by TRD3000GT

yes . Motorbike size letters.

Try this button top_search.gif

I tried clicking it mate but it didnt do anything..... I tried ages ago, tried again now and it doesn't respond to being clicked.

I asked someone who knows "webstuff" and he says that you just posted a picture of a button.

This new fangled technology.....I'm off to do my tax return on the abacus, BBL