The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is anyone interested in the RAF Marham Charity Track Weekend on 4-5 September 2010

heckler

Right, before I say yes or no to the invitation, is anyone interested in the RAF Marham Charity Track Weekend on 4-5 September 2010??? - I'll leave this thread open for two weeks before letting them know. Once I say no to the organiser, thats it. No going back.

RAF MARHAM TRACK WEEKEND – 4-5 SEPTEMBER 2010

General

On behalf of the Station Commander, Group Captain S P Rochelle, a warm welcome to RAF Marham.

Only people confirmed on the list by the forum moderator will be allowed access to RAF Marham. You must bring Photo ID with you (e.g. driving licence or passport), for yourself and any passengers. RAF Marham personnel will check your personal identification and vehicle details on entry to the Station. Please be prepared to have your vehicle searched on entry. Please arrive in plenty of time, these security checks can be thorough and may take some time to complete: therefore do not expect to arrive at the gate 15 minutes before the driver briefs start and expect to breeze through!

Drivers/Passengers

Car drivers and passengers must wear a helmet and clothing that covers the arms and legs at all times when on the track; race suits, flameproof clothing and race boots are of course acceptable; for first-time participants, unless you are using race-specific clothing, please avoid synthetic fabrics, wear thin-soled shoes and consider using a thin pair of gloves.

Participants may share a vehicle, second drivers must sign on and attend the driver’s briefing. All drivers and passengers will be required to sign on and complete an indemnity form.

• Drivers must be in possession of a current, full UK driving licence and present it at signing on.

• Passengers are permitted in cars, but must be 16 years old or over, and will be required to sign on. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that their passenger is signed on and adheres to the same rules as the driver for clothing and helmets. The main participant is responsible for the behaviour of all people within their party.

• Bring clothes to keep warm - when outside the car, the airfield is an open place and seldom warm if there is a wind.

• Food and drinks (hot and cold) will be available for purchase at the event.

Vehicles

Unless fitted with a plumbed-in system, a hand-held fire extinguisher must be carried securely inside the car (inside seat pockets is fine). The driver is fully responsible for ensuring the safe condition of the vehicle at all times.

Hand-held cameras (still or video) are not permitted in cars on the circuit. Any cameras carried must be securely and properly mounted inside the car.

It has not been possible to make fuel available at the event location; however, if not bringing additional fuel with you, nearby garages are located within 15 minutes drive to the north, west and east of RAF Marham. Vehicles with small tanks and/or high consumption levels may need to fill up during the day; access to and from RAF Marham during the event will be possible.

Racing or slick tyres are not recommended and are discouraged from use at RAF Marham. These tyres increase the FOD hazard as they generate large lumps of rubber which are deposited all around the track. This rubber can seriously damage aircraft engines. Racing or slick tyres can also put undue loads on normal road car suspension which may lead to failures.

It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure their car is in a safe and roadworthy condition. Poor car condition and mechanical failures have in the past resulted in incidents which may endanger your safety or the safety of others, and could potentially cause damage to the operating surfaces of the airfield. Basic car preparation before the event is essential for the safety of yourself and others:

• Check tyres for correct pressure and adequate tread depth.

• Make sure that brake pads have plenty of friction material left on them and that your brake fluid is fresh. New pads need bedding in to avoid them glazing over.

• Check fuel, oil, coolant and other fluid levels, and bring spare fluids to top up during the day.

• Check condition of steering and suspension bushes, bearings, dampers and other key driveline components.

• Check for loose trim including spoilers, splitters, wheel-arch liners, windscreen surrounds. Remove if necessary to avoid coming off the car at high speed.

• Ensure that any cooling fans fitted work effectively.

• Ensure you have the means to repair/replace a punctured or badly worn tyre. A mobile tyre fitter may be available, subject to confirmation closer to the event.

• For those driving open or soft top cars, irrespective of whether the hood is raised or lowered, it is strongly recommended that appropriate extra rollover protection is properly fitted to the car, unless the car's windscreen structure was specifically designed to provide such protection.

Event Control/Assembly Area

The Assembly Area (i.e. pits/paddock) has plentiful hard standing for parking vehicles and any support equipment. Please do not park or drive on the grass. The speed limit in the area is 10mph at all times. Any breach of this will result in exclusion from the event. Event Control will be located next to the Assembly Area, as will the food, drink and toilet facilities.

Sessions/Timings

Signing on will be from 0730 with a drivers’ brief taking place at 0845 on both days. Please ensure that you arrive in plenty of time to sign on and be ready for this brief. The planned timings are based on full capacity attendance on both days; they may change and enable more sessions for participants if there are fewer vehicles participating.

The event will be run with controlled access sessions. Each session will be 30 or 60 minutes duration with the first session including a familiarisation convoy run. The following timings are relevant for both days:

0700 – Main Gate open.

0730 - Signing on opens.

0845 - Drivers Briefing.

0900 - Track opens.

1200 - 1300 Lunch Break.

1630 - Track closed.

Environmental

The event has been required to implement a noise limit to reduce impact on local residential areas. No unsilenced exhaust systems will be permitted. A noise limit of 105 dB will be enforced (measured at 0.5m and 45 degree angle from exhaust exit at 2/3 of max rpm). Cars exceeding this limit, or if deemed to be unacceptable or specific complaints are made, will be excluded from the event until appropriate noise reductions are made.

Equipment to deal with fuel and oil spillages will be available in the Assembly Area, any such spillages must be dealt with promptly and reported to the Assembly Area marshal. Marshals will deal with spillages on track, but drivers are to ensure that any such spillages are reported on return to the Assembly Area.

Driving

When the track opens at the start of each day, the group will carry out a familiarisation lap behind a lead car. The purpose of the sighting lap is to show drivers the layout of the track by driving behind the lead car; it is not to demonstrate speeds, braking points or lines through corners, but simply the layout of the track. If you arrive late, you will have to wait until a member of the organising staff becomes available to give you a driver brief, following which he/she will accompany you in your car to give a familiarisation lap.

Remember that you will be driving on an airfield, which differs in a number of ways from a normal race circuit:

• Appropriate sections of the track will be coned to ensure that the correct route is followed.

• There is no Armco or tyre walls (but run-off areas are generous and grassed).

• Be aware that the track is on wide tarmac runways and taxiways, and is relatively featureless, so take care in judging your speed and braking points and distances until acclimatised.

• The track has mixed surfaces - some areas are high friction tarmac, some are concrete and there are various areas with runway markings - the tyre wear and, importantly, the grip level on each is different!

• There will be no drift sessions on this event and drifting is not permitted.

• Avoid driving over airfield lights that mark the runway and taxiways - they are hard, do not deflect and are expensive to replace; moreover, they will throw your vehicle off line.

The Driving Days are non-competitive for insurance reasons, therefore, comparative lap timing or racing is prohibited; such use will result in exclusion.

Insurance

It is very unlikely that your normal road insurance policy will cover you for the event. The event insurance will cover you for damage to MOD property and third party liability to other people not participating. It is strongly recommended that you take out track day cover for your vehicle, as you or your insurance company must pay for any damage you may cause to other cars. Also, you may wish to consider personal accident insurance; track day accidents are very rare, but if you decide to take your car onto a track, you must be aware that you are accepting the risk to the car, yourself and any passenger. You will be required to sign an indemnity prior to the event, as will any additional drivers and passengers.

Driving after the Event

Do a thorough check of your vehicle (tyres, fluid levels, wheel security) before you leave. Please remember one thing above all else before you depart from the Assembly area - switch off track day mode - you are about to get back onto public roads where the Highway Code and Traffic Regulations apply. The roads immediately around the Station entrance are residential areas and drivers are requested to take extra care for children playing and to keep engine revs low if you have a noisy exhaust. It is anticipated that there may be a local civilian Police presence so take care of your speed.

Edited by heckler (see edit history)

As always I'm interested Si, but can't commit because I may be at work.

If anyone is thinking about it, I would highly recommend doing it. It's a great track for the Supra with some tight stuff, lots of fast corners and a mile long straight that you can get 160-170 mph in a stockTT or 200mph if your names ASHBHP!

Its a very safe place with just a few cones to hit if it goes wrong.

Here is a vid to give you an idea what its like.

Edited by Mcgoo (see edit history)

right, been over two weeks now... I guess theres some interest, so what I'll do is ask for reduced numbers on both days.

Now, to those that are interested, I need the following AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

• Name
  • Passenger Name (if taking passenger)
  • Tel Number
  • Date Of Birth (and passenger if taking)
  • Place Of Birth (and passenger if taking)
  • Address (and passenger if taking)
  • Passport Number (and passenger if taking)
  • Car make
  • Car Reg
  • Day you want to attend
  • Payment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Si,

Sorry for delay - been on hols.

Obviously back now.

Cars have service next week and i;ve found a small oil leak somewhere, so depending on what i/they find next will decide if i;m on board. fingers crossed.

I should also hope to bring along someone else as well.

If i can let you know please as soon as i can.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
ive clearly missed how much it is....?

good point, well presented!

Prices:

Single day - £70 for car and first driver. Additional drivers or passengers are an additional £10 each.

(e.g. Car and 1 driver, £70; Car and driver plus 1 additional driver or passenger, £80; etc)

Full weekend pass - £120 for car and first driver for the weekend. Additional drivers or passengers are an additional £10 each for the weekend.

(e.g. Car and 1 driver, £120; Car and driver plus 1 additional driver or passenger, £130; etc)

Payment must be made in advance, cheques need to be made payable to Service Funds RAF Marham and of course signed and dated. We are expecting a high number of participants so it is advisable to get your name down early. Please note cheques may not be cashed until 2-3 weeks after the entry deadline, please ensure sufficient funds are available in your account.

right, i've just been asked by the organiser if anyone from the forum is coming... so far... er.. no. A few people saying there interested, but nothing confirmed. At this point it very time critical due to security checks etc.. I'm going to let this run till 6pm on Monday 23. After that no more names will be put forwards. no exceptions.

Just had a quick message from the organisers of the trackday

"sorry to hear that you and the Team will not be available for the Event.^ I hope that this is only a temporary blip and that you are all back at Marham in the very near future.^ We will keep you posted on any future dates, etc"

^

Such a shame Si, for anyone who hasn't been before this is one of the only places where you can really stretch the Supra`s legs. This is also an ideal trackday for beginners as there is so much run off, I have a video of a Cerb spinning off at the end of the straight somewhere :D

Cerb Spin- skip to the end

-kSyme4pd6Q

Following AshBHP

jrPanaEsVGc