The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How can I tell if my car came with an airbag?

The-Plethora

When I bought my car it came with an aftermarket steering wheel which is fairly horrible. The horn is not working / wired up, no airbag, no cruise control option.

I want to replace this with a standard one at some point. I presume I would have to get a standard toyota boss to fit a steering wheel back in? (bit of a nub at this). I have found the cruise control mechanicals under the bonnet so hopefully it will fit straight in and work.

Are there problems installing a non airbag wheel into an airbag specced car in any way or are there some sensors hidden on the car or info on the car factor plate that would let me see if I can use an airbag cruise control wheel?

tl;dr I dont know anything about cars

You will have an air bag warning light, but if you have an after market wheel on your car, they will have taken the bulb out. Easiest way to check is remove you steering cowl and look for a thick yellow wire with a funky looking 2 pin plug on the end near the wheel.

If you cant find this its a good chance you never had one .

I'll be soon removing my airbag wheel. Just a quick question.

Having only do this on none-airbags cars, is it safe????

Do these things accedantly sometimes go off when removing and what can i do to insure i dont set it off the nailbomb in my face.

disconnect the battery and i "think" leave for 24 hours before removal, although i may be wrong on that point.

or you could hit the front bumper with a large mallet - that way you're out of the car when it goes off :D

Ed, your insurance company most likely won't insure you if you remove the airbag.

To the Op, is a boss kit required to fit a stock wheel? I thought the boss kits were to attach aftermarket wheels to the OEM boss. Does the OEM come off?