The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop vs hardtop ride quality

paulrenn

I've had 2 aerotops, and love them (when the sun is out :D) but I do have issues with the ride quality on poor roads. It's shake, rattle, and roll on cobblestones etc.

How much better are hardtops in this respect - who's tried out both and can give a good comparison?

I've had both too. If the roof shakes around on your Aero when it's bolted in, then the problem is the roof bolts. It's probably age rather than anything else.

I had a problem a while ago with a little vibration. I sorted it by replacing of the bolts with a new one and it's fine now.

On another note, putting on larger wheels with low profile tyres and stiffer suspension is never going to do ride quality any good in either model - but your roof shouldn't rattle.

Nah, roof did not rattle, just the whole car...I've had quite a few Toyotas of various descriptions over the years and they all seem to suffer from poor suspension, whether it is damping or travel or who knows what. Generally "stiff kneed" I suppose.

Other marques seem to get a better balance between ride comfort and sportiness.

A little surprised that hardtops have the same issue, but I need to get a test drive in one :)

With the roof on there wasn't a lot in it for me, lovely smooth drive with no rattles/creaks/shakes at all. I couldn't handle the flexing with the roof off though, completely ruined the experience (except in Germany, on the roads around the ring it was fantastic :D).