The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard Top End

Manic

:eek: Jeez I read on another post here that the TT tops out at 168!! Is that normal for a standard TT.

I have a Jap Spec N/A and and have bottled out at 130 mainly cos I guess you'd instantly lose your licence at that speed, last thing I want is to give up the chance to continue driving this fantastic car.

I dont want to start a N/A vs TT thread but I find my N/A is a bit sluggish at lower speeds until the second cam lifts. Does the turbo's increase that low to mid range acceleration or is it for higher speeds. Just interested really. I'd like a UK leathered up TT but cant really afford the jump at the mo. Mines an L reg'd 100'000 miles machine in very good nick although no service history is available. Only gripe is on town driving im getting 250km's to a tank(yes km's).

Matt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Manic

[b I dont want to start a N/A vs TT thread but I find my N/A is a bit sluggish at lower speeds until the second cam lifts.[/b]

2nd cam? It has 1 inlet and 1 exhaust cam, and they are both fixed. I can only imagine you mean VVTi, but I didn't think the N/A's had VVTi?

The Gearboxes I think are gear'd for around 200mph from what I read somewhere!?

:blink:

2nd cam? It has 1 inlet and 1 exhaust cam, and they are both fixed. I can only imagine you mean VVTi, but I didn't think the N/A's had VVTi?

:conf:

:stupid:

Err well you live and learn gotta admit to knowing jack diddly squat about engines (well a bit, my old viva 1256 engine 20 yrs ago saw the brunt of my expertise:( )

I just assume it was twin cam as like the new vv type cars you accelarate then around 4500-5000 it kicks in?

Please enlighten me.

Originally posted by Barry

2nd cam? It has 1 inlet and 1 exhaust cam, and they are both fixed.

Well hopefully they turn :) but the amount of lift is constant if that's what you mean :D

Originally posted by Barry

I can only imagine you mean VVTi, but I didn't think the N/A's had VVTi?

Later N/As ('97 on) had VVTi, but its not really something you feel kick in.

The turbos are sequential on the TT (if standard) and they are designed to increase the torque and low down poer of the car. This means the torque curve is very smooth.

What you are getting in your NA is the sweet spot of the engine where the torque starts to increase at a faster rate. Alot of NA cars do that, they don't get going until higher up the rev range.

Its a slightly different principle (and engine design) but have a go in an Integra Type R. They screams up the rev range after about 5,000 RPM, but aren't all that impressive low down despite the VTEC technology.

For your info, the first turbo on the TT comes in at around 2,000 RPM followed by the second (very noticably) at about 4,000 RPM.

Go along to a local meet and I'm sure somebody will take you out in their P&J, maybe even let you have a go:eek:

Originally posted by Steve W2

For your info, the first turbo on the TT comes in at around 2,000 RPM followed by the second (very noticably) at about 4,000 RPM.

On the vvti twin turbos, the second cam profile is used to fill the gap between turbos, this just makes the second turbo comming on-line less noticable, but you still get the feel of extra pulling power, just no real kick. An even smoother torque curve.

As for the cars top speed, well, I got 166mph on the speedo. This is mainly due to a problem with the auto box on vvti cars, they want to kick down at high speeds. I know there was still another 1000rpm to go when mine kicked down from 4th to 3rd, at 166mph.

Others on the same trip to europe got 170mph on a standard car, and 177mph on a car with only exshaust, and intercooler. I dont think this was at top whack, just as fast as the bottle would take.

I think the top gearing is for around 196mph:D

Originally posted by Timwildman

On the vvti twin turbos, the second cam profile is used to fill the gap between turbos, this just makes the second turbo comming on-line less noticable, but you still get the feel of extra pulling power, just no real kick. An even smoother torque curve.

Not smooth enough for you to accelerate away from me though:D

Originally posted by Manic

I just assume it was twin cam

It is. I don't think Twin Cam is what you think it is though. A TC engine has one cam operating the intake valves and the other cam takes care of the exhaust valves.

Originally posted by attilauk

i got 162 mph (on the speedo) out of mine on the M5 (3am no-one around, trac fuse out to bypass the limiter :p) when i bottled, she was still pulling hard though:eek:

Would it need the Trac Fuse out for that speed then? An indicated 162mph would be less than 150mph really, unless you've had the speedo calibrated of course.

Originally posted by Jake

Would it need the Trac Fuse out for that speed then? An indicated 162mph would be less than 150mph really, unless you've had the speedo calibrated of course.

i thought the speed limiter works off the same speed signal as the speedometer so it should activate on indicated speed not actual. but im probably wrong:p

I've had an indicated 175 when the limiter cut in, but i'm sure this was not the actual speed. I beleive the supra is quite bad for over-reading at high speed.

Assuming the limiter cut in at an actual 155 then it was overreading by 25 mph which sounds like a very high margin of error indeed!!