The mkiv Supra Owners Club

price of 6 speed n/a

formatzero

Have to ask, whats the point of a 6 speed N/A

It makes the most of the NA's low power, you get very little rpm drop in the changes between 2nd-5th and so you are always in or around the 200bhp region.....very easy to keep in the power band especially when compared to a NA auto......also 6th is setup to max out right where the power/top speed limit is compared to the 5 speed where (from memory) you can never get close to red lining 5th.

I personally found it fun with all the gears, as with the 6 speeds in general the more you were pushing on the better it all came together and the more you wanted to pootle/cruise around the more awkward and hassle it all seemed.

My NA is 5 speed and a joy to drive. I am now after a TT6 but this thing about the gearbox is putting me off. I don't like "clunky" at the best of times.

Wonder whether a tiptronic would be better to drive?

H.

Have you driven a 6 speed H? Its funny really cause I was expecting the Supra and Skyline (they both used the Getrag box) to be clunky but tbh I haven't found either to be like that! Its the clutches that I struggle with!

I found the Getrag box very clunky, and it made some strange noises. I can see the point of it in big power Supras, but in the NAs its not necessary. Its not a bad box, just less than ideal.

My 6-speed NA sold for £4600 earlier this year with 87k on the clock.

As new I think they wouldn't feel far from a 5 speed........

Whilst the gearbox is very strong and the clutches long lasting I think there is a noticeable wearing of some minor (in terms of overall functionality) parts that contribute to giving a vagueness or lack of 'tightness'.

I think there are bushes in the shifter that are known to wear making the change poor, flywheel wear gives more and more 'on choke' low speed/in traffic transmission slop when you are on/off throttle and possibly that rattle on shut down (or is this the pilot bearing or gearbox input shaft?)

IMO it's definitely one of those things that just gets ever so slightly worse over the years/miles, but is an almost imperceptable change for an owner, such that you'll like claim to anyone it's always been like that/they are all like that, but if you could go back to when you first had it you would, I think, notice the difference.

I think you can get a good 'read' from the gearbox feel of a 6 speed as to what mileage it's done......any sub 70K mile advertised 6 speed should still be very tight and have a positive change and minor tranmission slop/snatch.......ie should feel 'nice'