The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual button?

suprz_rz

OK,

I give up. I got me an auto box, yeah, I know I should have gone for the Manual one, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

So, Theres this button on the center piece next to the shifter. Whats that do then. I have pressed whil;e driving, and it seems to make no noticable difference at all.

Also, whats the smaller red button in front of the shifter with the Jap writing around it? I pressed that, and that does nothing as well!!

The manual button disenganges the Auto mode on the gearbox and allows you to change up and down the box via the shift (1 - 2 - 3).

The little red button allows you to move the shift stick if you are ever stuck and cannot start the car.

HTH

manual mode has two uses as far as I can see.

1. Better control of the car - for example keeping it in 2nd, or 1st so you're on full boost while going mad. Some say the box changes up and down quicker in MANU mode than it does when selecting normally - can't say I've noticed.

2. ECONOMY! I reckon I've got this sorted to a T. Basically, although MANU mode is meant to make the box stay in whatever gear you choose, the car will NOT set off from standstill in 3rd (D), what it will do is start off in 2nd. So, for your sunny day city cruising, set the box in MANU, D (3rd), and let the revs rise to 1600 rpm. Keep around 1600 - 1800rpm up until you hit 35mph, then de-select MANU and the box will drop into 4th (over drive). This way you can drive at up to about 45mph without ever going above ~1800rpm (staying off boost)

It's not the 2nd gear starting that makes the difference, it's the 34-35mph overdrive that does it. It's very hard to get the box to drop into overdrive below 40mph, but clicking off MANU like this seems to do it.

I'm such a cheapskate but hey I do a *lot* of miles and I wanna keep my car :)

Originally posted by Paul R

My auto supra used to start off from third if I selected manual and pulled away. I'm not sure why yours would drop to second??

The Supra manual clearly states that if the car is at a stand still, in D, and the manual button is pressed then it should pull away in 2nd gear.

Originally posted by FaithStalker

also, dont foget,

if you drive with MANU ON and O/D ON then it will stay in 3rd (D) until the rev limiter, switching o/d off will engage 4th !

if you drive with MANU ON then it will stay in 3rd until the rev limiter regardless of O/D. O/D does nothing with MANU on, hence the need to flick MANU off when you hit 35mph!

Originally posted by mawby

The Supra manual clearly states that if the car is at a stand still, in D, and the manual button is pressed then it should pull away in 2nd gear.

I swear that mine never used to do that! Mind you I never had cause to try and start in 3rd really!

Paul.