The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A quick one

Guest stevie1982

Guest stevie1982

Hi I have been away from the fold for a few years after I sold my old 3.0 na, opted to have a few more imprezas a p1, litchfiled type 25 and finaly a 485bhp roger Clark sti 5. Sold that a month ago and now have a desire for another supra but this time a turbo.

I have been through the buyers guide, model chart which was a big help and have started looking around. Idealy I am after a manual and face lift vvti if I can find one.

I have a few questions for you all.

How much should I be looking at, as they are on pistonheads for a wide range if prices

second thing is I notice a selection have gone from the twin turbo to one larger single turbo unit, why is this?

What can the standard units produce?

Can you not replace the twins with two larger units or are the standard units the largest that will go on?

What are the general reasons for switching to a single unit?

Any help and advice would be great and thanks in advance

The o/e tt set up is good for 450 hp max with all the supporting mods, single turbos can take you to 1000 + hp and you can replace the twins with bigger twins and get big hp too with the relevant mods required to do it.

The main reason to go to big twins or a big single is more hp.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest stevie1982

Dunk I gathered it was for more power but I have noticed that the big power supras for sale in here or on pistonheads are Single turbos.

What I was trying to find out is why people go the single route?

Wether it was the twin turbo route was limited power wise or it was cheaper to go single?

What setup is more responsive?

which is peoples prefered choice and why?

Are there any draw backs / benifits to sticking with twin units and same for the single

unit?

Any help and advice would be great

thanks

Guest stevie1982

imi lovely car you have there mate and yes it was a very helpful yet confusing thread as i am not used to all the technical jargon that was used which relates to the supra although it was a good write up.

can i ask what made you go for a larger single turbo and not go with some larger hybrids?

what reason for and against

thanks