The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Semi Auto Shifters

jon07043278

I'm looking at turning my soarer TT into a semi automatic. The two main choices ive narrowed down to are:

Suprastick with steering wheel paddles

http://www.latentsolutions.com/suprastickuv.html

and

Automatic Shifter (sequential style) such as the B&M pro ratchet

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Automatic-Shifters_3

If i'm honest the automatic shifter would better for what i'm looking for but the suprastick system would still be fine. Has anyone used these systems? Are there any other better products?

Thanks

The A340E gearbox will not work with the suprastick, as mentioned above the A340E is controlled electronicly. You see it uses electronic solenoids that control the flow of auto fluid and pressure, instead of the older style autoboxes that used valves operated by rotational rev's or shifter position to change fluid control to make a gear change.

You need to electronicly control the box, and its not simple.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Ahaaa but youre all wrong, the Supra stick works fine in the Soarer as its got a cable operated line pressure control ;) has been fitted and run succesfully on Soarerworld. Bit of a bitch to fit by all accounts though.

How would the B&M facillitate the O/D function?

Ahaaa but youre all wrong, the Supra stick works fine in the Soarer as its got a cable operated line pressure control ;) has been fitted and run succesfully on Soarerworld. Bit of a bitch to fit by all accounts though.

How would the B&M facillitate the O/D function?

It wasnt that hard.

Ok, I did it twice. I decided to move it.

Ok, it took 3 weeks of reaserch before I started.

Ok, the instructions from Garrett are pants.

But there is now an easy walk through talk through there that I made so it should be far easier.

Ok...It was a bitch!

I'll be doing this to the A340E in my MR2. Custom Computer though as I found the SupraStick a bit pants, The one I took apart used relays rather than FET's :badidea:To be honest a Darlington pair array will probably have a enough current handling to drive the solenoids.

There are also accumulator shim mods and line pressure cable lock up mods that can be used to make the box shift like a beast.

The Supra and Soarer A340E casings are identical apart from the cable entry point has a block off plate. It has 2 extra solenoids on the valve block for Line Pressure (0 - 5v) and Accumulator (PWM) control. You could most likely retro fit a Soarer valve block to a Supra Auto if you wanted to run a Supra Stick.

How about this unit in the short term ?

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/transcontrol.php

I'll be doing this to the A340E in my MR2. Custom Computer though as I found the SupraStick a bit pants, The one I took apart used relays rather than FET's :badidea:To be honest a Darlington pair array will probably have a enough current handling to drive the solenoids.

There are also accumulator shim mods and line pressure cable lock up mods that can be used to make the box shift like a beast.

The Supra and Soarer A340E casings are identical apart from the cable entry point has a block off plate. It has 2 extra solenoids on the valve block for Line Pressure (0 - 5v) and Accumulator (PWM) control. You could most likely retro fit a Soarer valve block to a Supra Auto if you wanted to run a Supra Stick.

How about this unit in the short term ?

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/transcontrol.php

When you are talking about the A340E is that the one from a Supra TT which have the line pressure controlled electronicly or is it from the NA which do not have electronicly?

I would love to have something like the Supra stick to my Supra MKIV TT auto trans. But it seems like it cannot handle the electronicly line pressure.:(