The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight clean up

JakeG

Ok so I got my headlights done, removed plastic lense, sanded down inserts and resprayed black, turned out very well but one light didn't seal up well and is leaking, so I'm going to have to remove the plastic lense again, I just want to know does anyone know the best stuff to use to get the yellowing of the lense while I have it off again??

Use any really fine metal or plastic polish, dont use a machine, they will make the plastic too hot and damage it. When resealing heat up the lamp and move the stock sealant around make it even, takes a bit of time but worth it. I got my polish from Germany it is 18000 micron product, to finish mine off getting to that stage I use 8000 - 15000 micron papers. There is a head lamp referb write up in tec somewhere.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I've tried various methods over the past three or four years, and the best finish by far was using a similar way as Terminator but I did use a machine to finish it off. I wetsanded with a very fine grade until the lense was powdery-white, then polished with g3 on an orbital buff at a low speed and they came up great. I know a few local places/people (round Bangor) that will do it for you if you need bud.

Sadly no matter how well they're done they always yellow again eventually and you really need to keep on top of them with plast-x or metal polish. I've given up on ever being happy with them and I'm half way through a clear lense conversion but that's a heartbreaker of a job lol.