The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The quest for extra camber.

pedrosixfour

Hi folks.

I'm trying to overcome the stock Supra's limited supply of negative camber as I feel a move from R888 tyres to something more useable on track is on the horizon, perhaps even full slicks.

I was toying with the idea of modifying a pair of stock lower control arms but the little common sense I have is telling me I'll more than likely end up with something the Tate gallery would happily display.

Spotted these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=380244142615&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D7707329811722115947

Could these be the cheap answer to my prayers?

In the hunt for negative camber is there any draw back in moving the top of the tyre in rather than the bottom of the tyre out?

I am currently awaiting a response to my query regarding the amount of negative camber possible with these items.

Am I right in assuming the castor would be unaffected if these were fitted.

As always with me budget is the limiting factor, I'd love to drape Ikeya parts all over her but its not gonna happen!

Anyone with any insightful knowledge will be warmly welcomed.

Cheers y'all.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

I would have a word with Whifbitz.

They seem to be doing well running the various cars in the race series and will probably be able to give you a few suggestions in achieving your goal.

If you check his project thread there will be some pics of his setup. From memory he uses something similar to that albeit from Top secret (i think)

From what I remember Paul changed the bottom control arms up front as opposed to the top arms. This would undoubtedly give more scope for adjustment as the caster is also determined by the attitude of the bottom arm. But such freedom of adjustment comes with a meaty price tag and I really need a holiday this year!

Oh and I have no doubt Paul will get around to addressing his mis-match of suspension parts shortly!

Do you know how much camber you can get on the stock set up and how much are you looking for ?

Wouldn't it be possible to get new eccentric adjusters made to give you more camber off the lower arms.

Not enough mate! :)

The camber adjustment is limited on the front wheels by design.

The eccentrics are physically restrained from moving through their full range by clever use of a slotted hole narrower than the width of the eccentric.

To modify only the camber eccentric adjusters would sacrifice caster thereby forcing you to modify the caster adjusters in a similar fashion in order to maintain a favourable angle.

Any modification, namely moving the ball joint further from the pick-up points, would be done easier at the hub end as the stock eccentrics would then still be relatively effective.

I think the 1st thing to find out then is just how much camber you want, i'd open up the slots the eccentric adjusters sit in and then see what changes occured to the castor and if that could be adjusted back.

Without trying to sound negative Dunk I don't think its as easy as that, if it was I'm sure Paul or Wez would have taken that option a long time ago in their early days of racing.

As well as that I'd be wary about altering the main supports/fixing points. for the simple reason that when the experiment proves to be a failure you've painted yourself into a corner.

I have both camber and caster adjusted to their maximum, the front offers barely 2-3 degrees of negative camber. If I were to modify the camber eccentrics the caster starts to suffer with no adjustment to increase it. To successfully run track biased tyres including slick I'd imagine 4-5 degrees wouldn't be over estimating the task.

Without trying to sound negative Dunk I don't think its as easy as that, if it was I'm sure Paul or Wez would have taken that option a long time ago in their early days of racing.

As well as that I'd be wary about altering the main supports/fixing points. for the simple reason that when the experiment proves to be a failure you've painted yourself into a corner.

I have both camber and caster adjusted to their maximum, the front offers barely 2-3 degrees of negative camber. If I were to modify the camber eccentrics the caster starts to suffer with no adjustment to increase it. To successfully run track biased tyres including slick I'd imagine 4-5 degrees wouldn't be over estimating the task.

Thats ok mate im just throwing ideas in the air :)

Thats ok mate im just throwing ideas in the air :)

You keep throwin 'em and I'll keep knockin 'em outta the park! :D

I appreciate you taking the time to help Dunk and as I said I hope I'm not coming across as negative or dismissive to your ideas but I did take the time to study the possibilites while I was doing the poly bush upgrade and altering the pick-up points, in my opinion, wasn't a contender.

You keep throwin 'em and I'll keep knockin 'em outta the park! :D

I appreciate you taking the time to help Dunk and as I said I hope I'm not coming across as negative or dismissive to your ideas but I did take the time to study the possibilites while I was doing the poly bush upgrade and altering the pick-up points, in my opinion, wasn't a contender.

Best get my curve ball ready then :D

I didnt really have a close look at doing this on mine when i replaced everything as i was happy to get a good rd car set up so i'll bow to you on this one :)

It would be interesting to pop the adjusters out with it on a geo set up machine and leaver over the arms and see where the castor went at 5 degrees of camber ? :rolleyes:

Has anyone anything to add?

Anyone had experience with this product or attacked the problem of camber from a similar angle?

I realise for that price the bushes and bearings are going to be less that ideal but upgrading these arms might prove easier in time.

Yes, just bang some slicks on feel it grip, i only run 2 degree of -camber and all seems good here, allbeit slight wear on the outside edge of the tyre after about 50 laps.