The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear GSD3 or R888

Suprab1

Ok folks i've done a little searching but need opinions from BPU drivers.

What tyres do you rate best for road driving, the R888 or the Goodyear f1 gsd3 eagle? Or do some of you rate other tyres?.

The car never see's a track & is mostly used on sunny days.

R888 are very probably OTT for your requirements then.

I rate the GSD3 very highly - which is even more upsetting given that GoodYear stopped manufacturing them in the most popular sizes for the Supra :(

Toyo T1Rs get some good reviews on here, as do Falkens (specific model number escapes me at the moment though)

There is a Poll on here somewhere with ratings

HTH

Mike

Yeah i was looking at this poll. I noticed that alot of the single lads don't like some of the popular tyres, so thought i'd ask bpu drivers.

My tyre's are 255/40/17 & i seem to be able to get both these tyres in that size.

I have dunlop sport sp 8000 at the minute & find them good in the dry. In the wet though they light up even in 3rd with TC on so i have to have manners :innocent:.

I'm BPU and I love the GSD3s so if you can get them I'd recommend them.

My understanding of the R888s is that they sit between road tyres and track tyres, they have little tread and don't react well to cold weather, they need heat to be at their best.

Given the choice of the two I'd go GSD3s. If they aren't available (and my sizes aren't) then I'll be looking into T1Rs for the net set.

Mike

I'm BPU and I love the GSD3s so if you can get them I'd recommend them.

My understanding of the R888s is that they sit between road tyres and track tyres, they have little tread and don't react well to cold weather, they need heat to be at their best.

Given the choice of the two I'd go GSD3s. If they aren't available (and my sizes aren't) then I'll be looking into T1Rs for the net set.

Mike

Thats great mate thanks. Goodyears it is so ;)

Exactly.....original poster needs to do a bit more research on what tyres to choose, plenty of great info on this subject already.

I know its already covered. I just wanted to check with BPU drivers for road use only. Alot of people on here have big power &/or do alot of track driving.

I know its already covered. I just wanted to check with BPU drivers for road use only. Alot of people on here have big power &/or do alot of track driving.

correction, significant proportion are stock or BPU.

its just that some single owners shout the loudest giving the inflated perception of high powered supras ;)

BTW: dont discount Vredesteins.

I've used GSD3s for a long time. One of the best road tyres you can put on a car.

But as mentioned, its a shame Goodyear took the decision to limit the sizes of manufacture. Its now quite difficult sometimes to find a set of GSD3s in the right size and price.

The other choice is the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymettrics, but again goodyear have limited the production sizes and I think 255 width is not an option on these. :(

I've used GSD3s for a long time. One of the best road tyres you can put on a car.

But as mentioned, its a shame Goodyear took the decision to limit the sizes of manufacture. Its now quite difficult sometimes to find a set of GSD3s in the right size and price.

The other choice is the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymettrics, but again goodyear have limited the production sizes and I think 255 width is not an option on these. :(

Yeah cool i think i will try the GSD3s as i can get them 255/40/17 & they seem to be getting good reviews here.

Thanks for the help people.

correction, significant proportion are stock or BPU.

its just that some single owners shout the loudest giving the inflated perception of high powered supras ;)

BTW: dont discount Vredesteins.

Yeah i was looking at these aswell but i'll chance the goodyear's & see what they are like 1st.

Thanks again for your help all.

Falken 452s work great on my NA, might be ok on a BPU :search:

I've got Falken 452's all round on my BPu and they've been great.

i will still keep the fronts the same when the single is done, but change the rears for something a bit more grippy (R888)

Yeah cool i think i will try the GSD3s as i can get them 255/40/17 & they seem to be getting good reviews here.

Thanks for the help people.

Can you confirm the manufacture date with the supplier before they ship them, should be stamped on the side.

I've got Falken 452's all round on my BPu and they've been great.

i will still keep the fronts the same when the single is done, but change the rears for something a bit more grippy (R888)

These seem to be like marmite, some love them some hate them. By the sounds of it though they seem good for bpu.

Another option if the dates don't check out with the Goodyears.