The mkiv Supra Owners Club

All you guys with lowering springs

Bailey.

Hey my Issue is this, I want to lower my car which has standard bilstiens at the minute and i like the way the car handles very much, but I just want it too sit that bit lower. so I don't want to fit lowering springs and find it's jumpy over bumps or gradients like ive found before! I would like to buy coilovers and I will, but at the minute there are other things to do first, any views or recommendations welcome!

How much lower do you want it to sit ?

I have O/E dampers with Eibach pro sport springs and love how the car works but its a trade off as over really bad rds its a little too hard.

You can't really have it both ways so either leave it stock ride height and have a soft comfy ride or drop it down a bit and stiffen it up but lose the comfort on rough rds

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have O/E dampers with Eibach pro sport springs as well, and seems ok on mine (It hasn't shaken the fillings out of my teeth yet, lol!). To me, it seems to retain some if not most of its ride comfort as when it had standard springs, with the current set up it has.

also agree with the above post by "Dnk", you can't have it both ways unfortunately when comprimising between aesthetics and comfort.

Also take into account what wheels you have, i have 19's with very low profile tyres which reduces the comfort level and i have TRD antiroll bars which again stiffens everything up !

Your car already has coilovers and in my opinion lowering springs are the way to go, if you want to lower the car speak to CW and he could possibly machine your bilsteins and save you buying adjustable platform coilovers which usually sieze up through lack of use on a rd car.

I had stock uk shocks and Eibach springs. ride was a little hard but acceptable and handled well enough for my use. But the car was too low. And it eventualy destroyed my active spoiler which was locked down all the time. So i got rid of them for some HSD ajustables. I had them fitted at the same time as going from 1 to 1.3 bar and a couple of things happened.

Before i had no issues with putting power down. Now im noticing more and more wheelspin (in an auto when 2nd turbo comes on in first or sometimes 2nd).

Secondly is much more bumpy. shakes me arround quite a bit. Although ive got a bit used to it on a long drive its nowhere near as comfortable as it used to be.

This is on 18's with the correct size tyres.

If you dont have a fibreglass front bumper or a front lip. or dont have many speed bumps to go over. get some lowering springs. The ride in general will probably be better, if a little low.

I got a fibreglass bumper and I ALWAYS take care how I drive. But you're right, sometimes it's impossible to drive into garages or out of gasstations.

But so far nothing happend to the bumper. I never hit anything - thanks to my carful driving.

Don't go to Ross on Wye, its a nightmare round there in a low car :(

I very rarely suffer wheelspin, have you had the geo looked at ?

I do have quite wide rear tyres though:)

Yep. a couple of times. It has got better. After i had them fitted before i had chance to take it to be looked at. (only a week or so) the car was all over the place. Its much better now. but still when my foot is down hard and a hit a lump in the road it looses traction at the rear. (then the wonderfull uk spec traction control kicks in) hehe

I dont think i could get into my estate or up my driveway with a fibreglass bumper. im having a gready lip fitted soon. Need to test if i can get on the drive with it. I will have to tape it up with masking tape and take a few runs before i fix it :p

I get wheelspin in the conditions you decribe but thats down to unloading the weight of that wheel so not really down to a suspension fault, there is a sharp crest on a local rd by me that i get plenty of wheelspin off as the car goes very light if im on the go pedal but thats at around *** ish:rolleyes:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)