The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto gearbox clunk

Robby

When engaging Drive or Reverse (especially from one to the other) there is a big clonk coming from the gearbox. This is even more so when the car is cold and tickover is higher. I sometimes let it settle in Neutral in between changes to minimise this.

Any idea what this could be?

When engaging Drive or Reverse (especially from one to the other) there is a big clonk coming from the gearbox. This is even more so when the car is cold and tickover is higher. I sometimes let it settle in Neutral in between changes to minimise this.

Any idea what this could be?

have you checked the oil level in the gearbox ?

I've never driven an auto supra but my grans polo done this aswell. Also my 6 speed gives a bit of a noise going into first (think its from the diff) but then again so does plenty other rwd cars/vans that i've driven.

Does it change gears smooth?

I've never driven an auto supra but my grans polo done this aswell. Also my 6 speed gives a bit of a noise going into first (think its from the diff) but then again so does plenty other rwd cars/vans that i've driven.

Does it change gears smooth?

Yep its very smooth once driving, basically it just engaging drive from neutral, or into reverse from drive, and vice versa.

Was it like this since you got it? Have you driven any other auto cars?

Yeah its always been like it. I've had the car five years but its been off the road the last eighteen months.

I have driven lots of other auto cars, this definitely sounds an 'unhealthy' clonk!!

Yeah its always been like it. I've had the car five years but its been off the road the last eighteen months.

I have driven lots of other auto cars, this definitely sounds an 'unhealthy' clonk!!

Well if it sounds unhealthy i'd get the fluid changed. It could be the wrong type of ATF thats in there. It would be no harm to have fresh fluid anyway.

Its probably the diff.

if its the diff or propshaft play then it normally clonks quite loud when you go from drive to reverse,or the other way even with your foot on the brake pedal as it taking up the slack in worn components.

i would check the colour of the oil first, make sure its not brown in colour and has a burnt smell to it. also check to see if the idle is not too high.

change the oil it makes a hell of a difference mine was making a loud clunk until i switched the oil and now its allot smoother theres a sump filter in the gearbox thats about £60 from toyota u should change that whilst your on

change the oil it makes a hell of a difference mine was making a loud clunk until i switched the oil and now its allot smoother theres a sump filter in the gearbox thats about £60 from toyota u should change that whilst your on

So does that mean its the gearbox not the diff?

As Abz said, backlash in worn gears means that when you put it into gear the slack causes a clunk. Change the diff oil, that might help :)

If you check the oil in the gearbox make sure its in P, engine running ;)

Backlash in worn gears doesn't sound good?! Would it be better to change the gearbox? Or Diff? Or both?!

Backlash in worn gears doesn't sound good?! Would it be better to change the gearbox? Or Diff? Or both?!

Alot of cars do this, the autos I tried before I chose mine did it. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I found that if your going from P to D or R that if you release the brake and let the car roll an inch or two it doesn't happen.

The ones I tried did it quite noticably parked on steep hills.

Edited by Dave17 (see edit history)

Alot of cars do this, the autos I tried before I chose mine did it. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I found that if your going from P to D or R that if you release the brake and let the car roll an inch or two it doesn't happen.

Nail on the head! That's exactly the situation.

From the above does anyone know exactly what is causing it and what needs changing? It may not be too much of an issue but its really annoying (especially when engine is cold) and I want to get it sorted!

Cheers boys for the help, this is a great forum. :)

Like I said its the diff and associated wear in the drivetrain. Change the diff oil, see what (if anything) is on the drain plug (its magnetic). If theres big chunks of metal work then maybe think about changing the diff, but as with all things they eventually wear out.

While youre down there see what condition the 'donut' is in, the big rubber bush at the end of the prop shaft near the diff. Auto boxes generally dont clunk and bang.

So, in summary, check the condition and level of the gearox fluid, change the diff oil and see whats on the drain plug.