The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new to the supra world

Guest scott_j_g

Guest scott_j_g

Hi there this is my first post here and hopfully not the last. My name is Scott I currently have an impreza and love it to bits but the time has come for me to jump on the supra band wagon, just have a few general questions.

I know the supras are not goint to be economical, how many mpg's are you guys getting on a twin turbo manual?

And is there anything other than the usial things I should look out for when viewing/test driving a supra

cheers for any help guy n gals :)

Hi Scott, welcome to the club :)

Have a read of this link

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

and also this one

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67644

I'm on my second supra now, but i originally came from a Turbo 2000, and i loved the change. Totally different car, looks miles better and certainly goes better :)

Fuel wise will obviously depend on driving style, but expect anything from very low 20's to early teens mpg wise

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Hey Scott, welcome to the forum.

For fuel economy, it - obviously - depends how you drive.

I tend to see about 18-20mpg motorway driving. Less, as you can imagine, if being a bit more spirited. :)

Check the usual places for rust and such, under the carpet in the boot being an important one.

If you view a car and hear a rattly type noise from the back, it may be the boot rubbers that are perished. This isn't anything to worry about, but might make you uneasy to begin with!

Sort of things to check as well would be to make sure it's been well looked after (you'd do that with any car though). One of the things I suffered was my crankshaft pulley giving up. It's a common thing to start going if it's not been replaced. Always something to keep in mind given the cars are getting on a bit.

Make sure the heating is fine as well as the heater matrix can be troublesome. It can cause overheating by creating an air-lock and is a pain to swap out. Very sporadic though, so don't necessarily sit expecting it to happen!

Hope that helps a bit :)

Guest scott_j_g

:) cheers for the links il have a good read over them.

ye i thought it would be as low as that, oh well, all in the name of fun :)

Guest scott_j_g
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum.

For fuel economy, it - obviously - depends how you drive.

I tend to see about 18-20mpg motorway driving. Less, as you can imagine, if being a bit more spirited. :)

Check the usual places for rust and such, under the carpet in the boot being an important one.

If you view a car and hear a rattly type noise from the back, it may be the boot rubbers that are perished. This isn't anything to worry about, but might make you uneasy to begin with!

Sort of things to check as well would be to make sure it's been well looked after (you'd do that with any car though). One of the things I suffered was my crankshaft pulley giving up. It's a common thing to start going if it's not been replaced. Always something to keep in mind given the cars are getting on a bit.

Make sure the heating is fine as well as the heater matrix can be troublesome. It can cause overheating by creating an air-lock and is a pain to swap out. Very sporadic though, so don't necessarily sit expecting it to happen!

Hope that helps a bit :)

Cool sounds like the usial things to check then

i think the fuel will be around the same as my impreza so shouldnt be too shocked lol

Cheers

Guest scott_j_g
:welcome: to the club, Have a look around the forum as you will find a load of use full info to help you out, and check the for sales section for some excellent supras up for grabs.

yeh il have a look round the cars for sale, there is a dealer down the road for me selling one and im tempted .... but the price is an issue :p

http://caldermotor.co.uk/cgi-bin/details.pl?v_vin=K1200HP

An important post that has been echoed many times when people are considering/need to replacing/replace their crank pulley:

Lighter isn't necessarily better, a harmonic balancer is fitted to prevent vibration of the crank, it is the weight it is for a reason.

Of course, if running huge power, an uprated one (Titan or someone will probably do them) would then be the way to go.

If not then stick to OEM.

:)