The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi

blitziouz

hi

im shaun 22 currently drive a pug 306 and looking to step to somthing alot nicer and faster :). i have been looking at the auto TT and the non turbo, manuals are a bit out off my price range. i have only been driving since dec 2008 and have 1ync and half way through the second but i am completly bored off my car. ive recently been getting good quotes just need to find the right supra. any advise welcome :D

cheers

Shaun

Best advice to anyone looking to buy a Supra, would be to do alot of research.

As many have been abused and can be upto 17 years old they can have their problems, and will need to have parts replaced.

They're not cheap to maintain, tax, fuel or insure which can put alot of people off.

I'd suggest making a decision on whether you want a TT or an N/A; in my eyes, the two are worlds apart in repect to performance and maintenance costs

Search the forum throughly and make an informed decision, and try not to let your heart take over when you go to see one

Happy hunting

Best advice to anyone looking to buy a Supra, would be to do alot of research.

As many have been abused and can be upto 17 years old they can have their problems, and will need to have parts replaced.

They're not cheap to maintain, tax, fuel or insure which can put alot of people off.

I'd suggest making a decision on whether you want a TT or an N/A; in my eyes, the two are worlds apart in repect to performance and maintenance costs

Search the forum throughly and make an informed decision, and try not to let your heart take over when you go to see one

Happy hunting

Why do you think the maintenance costs of the NA and TT are worlds apart? I don't see why they'd be very different. It's obviously a substantial repair bill if the turbos go but that isn't very often, and can't really be catagorised under maintenance.

Also I think the tax on the Supra is pretty cheap at £180 for mine compared to cars with similar sized engines after the tax cut-off.

Why do you think the maintenance costs of the NA and TT are worlds apart? I don't see why they'd be very different.

- higher frequency of engine oil + filter changes

- the stock wheels are larger making tyres more expensive

- traction can be an issue causing premature tyre wear to the heavier footed of drivers

- fuel consumption isnt so great

- as mentioned, if you have an issue with a turbo, i.e a seal goes etc. Can be expensive to rectify

- if the car is still running the stock intercooler, this will more than likely need replacing, did mine recently and the stock cooler pretty much fell apart in my hands!

- in general, more to go wrong

I just believe that a car with a turbo, is more like to cost more to maintain than an n/a. I guess if you had an n/a, and a TT, both stock cars, both with FSH, it'd be a different story - then again, maybe im talking sh*te :)

Tidy car for a tidy sum

£4800 is a lot of money for a N/A - but if its what you really want...

If you want to know the spec of the car, the best thing to do is use the search section of the toolbar - you will find everthing you will need to know.

...and no, there arent many modifications for power gain on a N/A :)

i think i will end up geting a non turbo for now as the insurance will be worth nearly as much as the car lol. i have my eye on this one atm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/Sales/1793205.htm

what should i look out for when buying a supra ? and what is the spec of the non turbo please :search:

thanks in advance :)

That looks a really good car matey. UK brakes are £1200 straight off. White is "in" 19's are not as well regarded but they're unmarked expressing care from previous owners. Price is good. Give it a good look.

NA / TT 220 brake NA, 300 brake Jspec TT. 330 brake UK TT.

Welcome to the club. :)

Tidy car for a tidy sum

£4800 is a lot of money for a N/A - but if its what you really want...

If you want to know the spec of the car, the best thing to do is use the search section of the toolbar - you will find everthing you will need to know.

...and no, there arent many modifications for power gain on a N/A :)

That post sounded a little negative so just for the record, It is a really nice looking car, and it has a decent spec. If its worth the travel, go and take a gander!

...bare in mind that £4800 is regarded a lot of money when it comes to N/A's - especially an auto one

Edited by pezzler (see edit history)

well the insurance is going well :wtf: adrian flux or elephant cant quote me on the n/a. but adrian flux will give me a quote for a twin turbo :( in the end i was just getting passed around differant insurance companys on the phone for a bout a hour all. i was getting quoted £2200 off elephant last week for a n/a.

well ive only driven 2 n/a's my auto and my dads manual, both are japspec so elephant wont touch them, as i found when they decided to cancel my policy after 2 weeks, i tried adrian flux and sky insurance sky were slightly cheaper but they did mirror my no claims from my van(6 years) even then still £790 and im 28 been driving 8 years

if found the auto alot easier to manage since the gearbox does the work for you but foot the the floor lights to lights the manual is slightly quicker.

im not knocking the autobox by any means its the best auto i have driven and by a big margin (and i have driven quite a few)

the supra is a brilliant car but its not cheap £205 a year for tax, just replaced 4 tyres on 18's £688. full service+cambelt change £590.

guessing at 22 your gonna get a kicking with insurance.

im really not trying to put you off the supra its amazing but its gonna take a big bite out of your wallet