The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member, Advice needed please!

Guest Element

Guest Element

Morning all,

My names Rich, I'm 24 & from Weston Super Mare.. Owned two Integra DC2's over the last year but now looking at something slightly different but still Jap! Always had a soft spot for Supra's as a lad but was always too young to do anything about it.

I'm trying to decide on what to get, given the fact I'd use it as a daily drive to work it would need to be pretty reliable (Heard the N/A's are pretty good for being reliable).

I've heard the N/A's are not great performance wise? Can someone clarify this, I'd like to at least stay on par with my DC2's power or more? I've also heard the Auto box is just as good as the manual? I might be wrong. Is there a thread that compare's the various models etc etc?

Strangely I can get cheaper insurance with the TT model but I don't fancy spending an arm & a leg running & maintaining (within reason).

If there's anyone in the area that wouldn't mind showing me their Supra I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

I guess I'm the only one sad enough to be up this late again on a Saturday night huh, present company excepted, of course!

I just had a quick look here

http://www.dc2.org.uk/

and I think you'll find an NA Supra MKIV uses quite a bit more fuel than your 1.8, being 3 litres but I have one and can tell you that it's a big car in comparison, I mean, visibility wise, you'll need to be very careful of kerbing. Acceleration in 'Driive' may seem slower with an auto but mine bites from the get go with no slipping in first and if you keep it in first or second, it absolutely rockets along. There's a manual mode button but it's not a good idea to knock an auto box down at high rpm, though it is enormous fun every once in a while!

My hair touches the headliner and I'm still uncomfortable with the allround visibility, though I've not kerbed it in 2 months as I owned two MKIII's for years so I'm used to it. Just be aware of the order of magnitude you're stepping up. There's bound to be someone who'll show you their car near you.

A couple of regulars live that way.

Power sounds top notch for the DC2; 187hp, 178Nm from a naturally aspirated 1.8!

Honestly, wait for a TT guy to come on and put you right, as I can only say that for sheer thrills, you may have already found a car that's hard to beat unless you go turbo Supra.

Don't get me wrong, the NA is good for 7k rpm and smooth as silk but it's a heavy car. These things are built for high speed cruising and rapid acceleration shows up on the fuel gauge quickly too.

Given what you're used to, go for a manual TT and I'm sure someone on here can sell you one. Most common car on here I think!

I've had a couple of guys say that I should have bought theirs instead of mine, for less!

Might be worth reading a thread called 'Have a Word' which was my first one where the TT guys with ones for sale are.

Any NA specifics, just ask ;)

Edited by Morpheus
typo (see edit history)

The only advice I can give, is that if you do decide to buy a Supra, go for the TT. Whether it be an auto or manual.

Whilst I'm not knocking N/A's I'm the kinda bloke that would always look at what could have been. You don't want to buy a N/A then decide it's not got enough power.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by Harry Sachs (see edit history)

The only advice I can give, is that if you do decide to buy a Supra, go for the TT. Whether it me an auto or manual.

Whilst I'm not knocking N/A's I'm the kinda bloke that would always look at what could have been. You don't want to buy a N/A then decide it's not got enough power.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well said!

I don't drive enough miles to get to blast mine now and don't need the insane speed of a turbo (mine's ridiculous enough as it is) but if I commuted more than a couple of miles, I'd miss the turbo, especially since the ECT isn't the same as the MKIII anymore.

A standard TT is reliable enough for most people, things wear out like any car and some things need to be replaced now and again but that applies to the NA too.

If you want a nice daily driver that's quicker than your DC2 then it has to be a TT, just be ready to feel dislocated from the experience a bit more than the Honda, the Supra will pile on speed so easily that you'll think the speedo is broken, 60 feels like 30, 100 feels like 60.... BPU helps with this by adding in a bit of rawness and making the car less like a Lexus but it's something to consider. Make sure you test drive a few.

Guest SupraTroopa

Alright mate, welcome.

I'm just down the road from Weston so could pop and meet you if you want at some point and take you for a spin in my TT. Just let me know. You won't regret getting a TT :D

I have an N/A and use it daily and it's a nice drive, but if you are looking for power then you have to get a TT.

You can get a clean Auto TT for really good money now, but just remember, which ever you buy, they have to be very well maintain, with no corners cut.

Welcome to the club, us South West lot are a friendly punch, so I am sure someone will be able to provide a ride for you

A standard TT is reliable enough for most people, things wear out like any car and some things need to be replaced now and again but that applies to the NA too.

If you want a nice daily driver that's quicker than your DC2 then it has to be a TT, just be ready to feel dislocated from the experience a bit more than the Honda, the Supra will pile on speed so easily that you'll think the speedo is broken, 60 feels like 30, 100 feels like 60.... BPU helps with this by adding in a bit of rawness and making the car less like a Lexus but it's something to consider. Make sure you test drive a few.

This is such good advice and if you want a real thrill, buy a Smart Fortwo, as it's the inverse of the Supra; 30 seems like 60 and 60 feels like 100!

It won't quite do 100 but 90 feels like 150, especially with the windows open!

:rlol:

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Hi and welcome, I was in Weston on Sunday, I was with my local car club, We went for a drive over to Cheddar then on to Weston for some grub. The bucket and spade it was called, Very nice too. Have a look on here first for a Supra, Some very nice examples.

Hi and welcome, I was in Weston on Sunday, I was with my local car club, We went for a drive over to Cheddar then on to Weston for some grub. The bucket and spade it was called, Very nice too. Have a look on here first for a Supra, Some very nice examples.

Haha quality, I remember the time I went to weston and I ate at the bucket and spade, unless theres more than one there?

Ive just gone the other way mate. Sold my N/A and bought a DC2.

Performance wise the DC2 feels scary - in a good way, the N/A felt a bit lathargic in comparison. So I think if you are after more thrills, then you NEED to go TT.

Just my 2p...