The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decat legality

Robby

I have hunted high and low for this answer but can't seem to find it, only bits and bobs! Hope someone can answer this!

What is the legality of decating my TT import?

Would it invalidate my insurance should I be involved in an accident?

Thanks!

Guest damo1

anycar after 1993 Kplate must be fitted with an cat but with your car being an import it may change if i was you go to your local mot station and ask if still not happy get your self a sports cat....

You certainly need to tell the insurance company. A decat massively improves the performance of the car so it is something the insurance company certainly need to know about.

The car will probably need a cat to pass an MOT, you could try the arguement that the car is not in their database but I have not heard of that working many times.

Do be aware your car could be roadside tested for emissions and found to be illegal without a cat. They will issue a rectification notice (or might even impound the car if being awkward) so you would need to get an MOT to prove the car has cats fitted.

But that happens extremely rarely.

As far as insurance goes wouldn't it come under 'modified exhaust' ?

Depends on the insurer. I've had ones list it explicitly and others stick it down as you suggest.

As long as you tell them in your own words then you should be ok but obviously come to the law then you should record that conversation.