The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper Refurb

Dnk

Im halfway through doing these for another member so thought i'd post up some pics.

These were badly painted red with holes in the seals and were screeming out for a proper job :)

Afraid i didn't take any pics before i started apart from one of the holes in one of the seals.

Heres some after i'd stripped them and had them chemically dipped, then i media blasted them and now their masked up ready for the powder coat.

Thanks to Ibrar for letting me use his workshop and helping mask them up and hopefully later today or tomorrow he'll have them powder coated :thumbs:

Also thanks to CW for supplying the seals so i could totally strip them :thumbs:

calipers 003.jpg

calipers 001.jpg

calipers 006.jpg

calipers 005.jpg

calipers 008.jpg

caliper seal.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

You have another customer if you want the work? Please PM me to discuss, my AP racing 6 pots are in need of some TLC.

If i hadn't moved out of my workshop i'd happily do them.

I used a favour up with Ibrar to get these done and don't think i can set up shop in his place on a regular basis as he's really geared up for doing mainly wheels and when doing calipers they need to be seriously clean inside.

I've been trying to see what temperature these brakes get to as these will be in the oven at 200 C which is 392 F, we did cook them previously with the old sealing seals in then took them apart and they appeared to be fine.

Any ideas on what temperature o/e brakes get to, i've searched and im reading all sorts of figures for rd cars.

Fancy doing another set?

+1 :)

As i already said it would be a bit cheaky of me keep taking over Ibrars workshop even though i don't need a great deal of space.

Also if your doing a full refurb as i've done with these then its quite costly and getting the small seals that seal the 2 sides of the calipers isn't easy.

The seals alone to do just the front UK specs are around £70 + the chemical stripping + the powder coating + my time stripping cleaning and rebuilding them and if you need any new pistons there approx £15 each.

Your going to be looking at £100 + for each caliper without fitting new pistons.

looks like time has been spent on those..... you retired dnk? :D

Afraid so mate, my trade is engineering which as you know is all but dead in this country and being a one arm bandit the companies that are left happily put you on the scrapheap of life :(