The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DBA Discs or Stock Discs....

ManwithSupra

A conversation i had with one of my mates (who is after DBA discs for his car) and Paul at Whifbitz got me thinking...

The DBA 4000 series discs for the Supra the 4418XS and 4419XS do they really warrant double the cost over UK OEM Discs?

The 4418 and 4419 have DBA's "pawprint" cooling design and the discs are Drilled and pitted? But how much more effective (if any) are these discs over UK stock discs the only difference i can see is the look.... are they really worth twice the price!!

Any comments welcome.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

There will be no difference in braking performance between the one piece DBA discs and stock discs.

That might not be 100% true Nic....the surface features on the DBA discs will likely affect the initial bite - much like the J slots/mini curves etc on various other discs like AP/Alcon etc.

Also depending on the vane design in the vented portion, heat loss may or may not be better than OEM. I believe the internal vanes on the OEM rear discs are straight - there could be improvements here with the right design (I do not know what the DBA internal vane structure is like though).

Id defo recommend the OEM, CW, UK caliper set up. or if you have the cash splash out on AP, Brembo etc. THB i dont think anything else is worth it. Toyota didnt spend shed loads of money on R&D for there brakes, for us to change them for something else. :D

DBA discs would be the only other disc id use next to OEM to be honest as the internal vane design is probly alot better than conventional straight vane design but i await to be corrected :D

Do AP make stock replacement discs?

DBA discs would be the only other disc id use next to OEM to be honest as the internal vane design is probly alot better than conventional straight vane design but i await to be corrected :D

Do AP make stock replacement discs?

I'd also consider Project Mu and Endless discs.

I use to use the Project Mu SCR Pro discs, not cheap but quite a bit lighter than stock and very hard wearing.

http://project-mu.co.jp/images/photo_rotor_scrpro.jpg

I will probably stick with OEM UK Discs until i buy the Whifbitz AP front and rear racing setup to be honest.

I cant justify spending twice the price on discs that really offer little upgrade in terms of braking performance, so i may as well put the exta money towards Whifbitz AP racing setup.

Cheers for everyones comments :)