The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head and block differences

RobD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there wouldn't be any down sides to using a NA block once oil feeds etc have been sorted?

Reason being is that I can get hold of some TT pistons and stock turbos cheap, obviously if I'm fitting the pistons and a TT head I may aswell strip the block and do the feeds at the same time!

I'd just need to source other bits needed to convert mine to a tt! I just wanted to definitely make sure there's no downsides really! :)

I'm quite tempted to get a TT head now and fit the pistons :)

ESP if I could use my block!

Just done a bit of investigation and getting some squirters in could cause a problem, so if I was to go with out them this should be ok?

How much does it usually cost to have a set of pistons coated?

Edited by RobD (see edit history)

I suppose anyone running NA-T would be without squirters so if they haven't blown there engine by now it should last right?

I'm going to buy a spare NA engine or block if I can get hold of one and build it up! Just need a TT head now! :D

I'm quite tempted to get a TT head now and fit the pistons :)

ESP if I could use my block!

Just done a bit of investigation and getting some squirters in could cause a problem, so if I was to go with out them this should be ok?

How much does it usually cost to have a set of pistons coated?

The machining required to sort the oil squirters is a easy. Anyone fool with a mill should be able to do it.

There's a few places around me that maybe able to do this! I'll have a look into a price for some squirters then, just got a set of turbo's and pistons now, will get a spare NA engine or block after my holidays and build it up ready for winter! :)

I'm going to buy a spare NA engine or block if I can get hold of one and build it up! Just need a TT head now! :D

I have most of a auto in my aerotop shell that im more than happy to let you have mate for a few beers.

Only problem is its still in and i dont have the tools or know how of how to take it out.

but im sure someone else will locally

Thanks bud!

I can come down and take it out mate! I'll just have to see if I can get my hands on an engine hoist from work for the day! :)

Just not to sure when I can, it maybe after my holiday in July if that's alright?

Fine by me mate, i go to Canada(BATUS) at the end of this month and come back at the end of July and will be on leave in August which i will be spending most of it here working on the car anyway.

Plus it saves me a job of taking it out for a TT conversion later on down the line :)

Cool, thanks for that bud!

I'm quite tempted to log down costs for this build as I reckon it's going to be alot cheaper than just buying a conversion kit, if you can do the job yourself obviously! Plus this way I can put new shells, seals etc throughout! :)

I Had a chat with someone at Cp ages ago about using the NA block etc and referenced the squirters etc as a difference.. he said the pistons arnt designed to Need the squirters.. So just get some aftermarket pistons a new headgasket and bolt on a TT head turbos etc, and modify two oil feed/return for the turbos.. Not too hard a job..

Well this is definitely going ahead now! Had enough of threatening it, I've got the pistons, turbos, injectors and rail, plus maybe a plenum and throttle body! Just need a head and other little things!

Dudes sorting a price for the block work and coated pistons!

Also hopefully got an engine off Al so will be building that up and will be fitting over winter, going to get the car resprayed whilst engine is out aswell! :)