The mkiv Supra Owners Club

finished dyeing carpet [pics]

Dave

well all i can say WOW what a transformation from a tired grey carpet with loads of marks ,to a brand new looking black carpet.

took me hour and half, gave it two good coats, done my front mats as well there now all drying in the sun. total cost £27.

big thanks to those who have put how too guides .cant wait to get it back in the car .also i carbon wrapped the plastic bolt and seat belt covers.

the pics dont do it justice looks patchy its just the sun on the weave .

plus a pic of tools needed sprayer [wilkos 58p] gloves -funnel [home made] stiff brush.

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

Looks great mate, glad it went good for you ;). I'm loving the carbon rapped plastic bits aswell but just realized i'm missing these bits :(.

Can i ask you where did you get the carbon rap stuff? & how does it stick?

got it off ebay theres loads on there and used high temp spray glue

Looks great, IM just about to give the cabon wrapping a go.

How much of a mess did you make with the dye though? I was covered for a week wehn I done mine! :D

the only mess i made is a black square on my lawn :D

what are you going to carbon wrap ?????

The initial idea was the steering wheel cowling, as I had a price of £300 to have it made in actual CF, I thought I'd save a few pennies and give the wrapping a go.

Also gonne go the door handles and now the seat trims :D

If Ive any left over I might do the inside of the armrest compartment thing.

The initial idea was the steering wheel cowling, as I had a price of £300 to have it made in actual CF, I thought I'd save a few pennies and give the wrapping a go.

Also gonne go the door handles and now the seat trims :D

If Ive any left over I might do the inside of the armrest compartment thing.

i tried the door handle inserts what a PITA just couldnt get it to look right , ended up taking it off and spraying them .done my dash its quite easy if you take your time

think i will do my cowl as well :)

I'm not looking forward to the door handles tbh, I've got hands like shovels, so anything even slightly intricate and I'm screwed.

The cowling looks easy though, and if I do make a mess of the armrest, at least it will be hidden.

No doubt if I pull off the cowling, I'll end up going carbon mad, ripping the door cards off, and making a right proper balls-up of them:)

Took your advice and done mine today.Can't believe the difference as my carpets were minging but they look like brand new now.Also done my mats and even sprayed my seats as they were badly faded and stained.Huge transformation although my lawn looks like a chessboard.lol

Took your advice and done mine today.Can't believe the difference as my carpets were minging but they look like brand new now.Also done my mats and even sprayed my seats as they were badly faded and stained.Huge transformation although my lawn looks like a chessboard.lol

you spray dyed your seats? your gonna have to post some pics up once there dryed.

agreed like to see them

Will take some pics on the weekend.Obviously its not such a huge transformation as the grey carpets as the seat wings are not the ideal material to take the dye but considering they were badly faded as mines an aerotop they are much better.Brings your plastics up as well.Had nothing to lose as i intended having seats recovered in leather at some stage but the car looks great for the meantime..Give it a try

its easy mate

and just seeing this thread i think i am going to have to do mine asap , those carbon wrapped seat clips look awesome , have you got a link to the stuff you used ?

i got it from the US on ebay but the link doesnt work anymore,it was the carbon cloth ,will have a dig around see if i can find him

here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBON-FIBER-FABRIC-55-X-36-INTERIOR-TRIM-WRAP-FABRIC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9d971d7aQQitemZ320471506298QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories fast delivery to had it in 3 days the size on there was enough to do my dash and a few other bits

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

well, thanks so much for this, it inspired me to do mine, and it has truly made one hell of a difference, from a shabby stained grey carpet to a deep shade of black, now looks stunning, just like brand new..;)

For the cost of the dye it's a bargain, so easy to do:cool:

Will post some pics when it goes back in..

cheers Jon

• 1 month later...

I sent a PM but will ask here in the thread. I have ordered that carbon wrap from the link and have it home now. Also equipped with glue in spray and I dont know how to do that properly. I tried with one piece but it looks poor. I dont know how you manage to wrap it without crinkles on corners and curves? can this material be heated or something to make it smooth on the hard places to work with?