The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT convert to 5 speed or 6 speed, best option

jackso11

I am seriously considering a manual conversion after owning the auto box for almost a year now. It is a lovely drive, but I just want my control back. So, obviously I have the decision of a 6sp or 5sp to decide on.

I have done a lot of reading of posts on the topic and it seems that a 6sp v161 is the best option...as in its the newest of the boxes....but is it the right choice?

A few people seem to say the 5sp box feels quicker and is a better way to go, which has confused me as it is also a lot cheaper. The 5sp box is good for around 500bhp if I am right and I am only going to be BPU so even if everything elso on my car was brand new and perfectly set up at BPU I am never going to get more than 420bhp out of it, more realistically 360-400 I would guess.

So, can some of the experts help me out to make the decision please :) I have titled this post so it will be easy to find for future converters deciding between 5 and 6 speed manual boxes too.

Guest SupraN

To be honest 6speed manaul is better on TT or single turbo. Indeed they are very expensive to buy 6speed gearbox. So i recommend 6speed.

5speed it can be work on BPU as i seen fews members have them but to be honest i won't buy if if i was you.

5speed gearbox is very easy to blow up anytime. It only good for NA

BTW why not go for R154 gearbox they are more stronger than mk4 5speed if you looking cheaper under grand i think.

For my personally i will go for 6speed or keep auto is make sense mate.

The R154 is an option, but it is more work to install and i think the overall cost is not that far off a 6sp conversion.

The 5sp w58 box is so cheap, some people on here have managed to to the whole conversion (themselves) for sub £600 including parts. Its so tempting but I don't know what the max power levels are.

Guest SupraN
The R154 is an option, but it is more work to install and i think the overall cost is not that far off a 6sp conversion.

The 5sp w58 box is so cheap, some people on here have managed to to the whole conversion (themselves) for sub £600 including parts. Its so tempting but I don't know what the max power levels are.

R154 is abit expensive i would say £1,500 gearbox conversion, all need extension shifter,6speed cluth and rear prop that it i think.

R154 manage upto 700bhp as i have been told. They very strong than w58.

I rather to keep automatic gearbox than w58 mate. It pointless to convert manaul if you don't go more power than BPU.

It your engine stock or BPU? Try ask keron he might able to help you:)

Guest SupraN
That statement doesn't make any sense at all.
Sorry i mean I rather too keep automatic gearbox or convert 6speed gearbox that it:d

My cars an NA-TT 5 speed and in the first two gears the gearbox actually rumbles and groans if on full boost acceleration... So I have to meter in the power until 3rd gear for fear of it exploding!! I'm aiming for 6speed conversion!

The fact that you are changing your gearbox means you have committed yourself to this car, you will at some point no doubt also look for more power, this is where the 5 speed will let you down, I would go for a 6 speed conversion if you have to change, however the 6 speed change does make the driving experience very different and I have to say I missed the auto in traffic or when just pottering about

Guest SupraN
The fact that you are changing your gearbox means you have committed yourself to this car, you will at some point no doubt also look for more power, this is where the 5 speed will let you down, I would go for a 6 speed conversion if you have to change, however the 6 speed change does make the driving experience very different and I have to say I missed the auto in traffic or when just pottering about
I agreed:)

True, but having an Aerotop TT means that adding the gearbox adds to the value of the car as it then becomes the car that was never made but everyone wants.

I agree with 6 gears being annoying, I drive a 6sp ford kuga too and having 6 gears just means more gear changes....which is kind of why I have been toying witht he 5sp idea. More control but less gear changes in traffic.

You could fit the 5spd, it may handle the power and be fine, it may let go and you are forced to pay for another gearbox to be fitted. Alternatively you fit a 6spd box and that's it job done.

Your choice really, one is cheap and 'may' be fine, the other is expensive and 'will' be fine.

When we say expensive.... just how much are we talking ? ballpark figure ?

I remember seeing somewhere that dude did a full 6spd conversion for just shy of 4k, not sure if it was 6spd or not but must of been for almost 4k...

The 5 speed box surely makes the TT car a lot quicker and nippier than a 6 spd, with your car being an auto the diff ratios will be perfectly suited for a 5 speed to the point that the 6th gear will not be greatly missed.

The R154 provides a suitable alternative to the W58 its a lot stronger and quite cheap compared to a 6 spd conversion.

Edited by supracars (see edit history)

When we say expensive.... just how much are we talking ? ballpark figure ?

I remember seeing somewhere that dude did a full 6spd conversion for just shy of 4k, not sure if it was 6spd or not but must of been for almost 4k...

That would be my V161 conversion he is doing it righ now ;)