The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To convert or not convert? i need help

blackdrift

ok here goes nothing. . . . . . . . .

For a while now have been toying the idea of selling the supra and in a 350z (dont hate me) ,but after thinking about it over and over and taking a drive to bournemouth in it today only to get a friendly wave from a fellow supe owner have decided to stick with it.

Now for the tricky part, i need more power!!! currently own a lovely black N/A which i love to bits but is a bit slugish for me now. So now the decision to convert to tt or sell up and but a tt.

To cut an allready long story short what are the differences beetween the N/A's and the tt's? I assume the obvious things like springs, shock's, Brake's and the active spoiler, tcs and are not installed.

Would like it to be as close to a original tt as poss if thats realistic or do i bite the bullet and go for it??

any input welcome guys specialy if you have done the conversion.

sorry for going on and for the spelling lol

carl

Does your NA have ABS? That would be another problem if converting to TT.

If your wanting to convert to a TT6 then it will cost a lot, you will be paying circa £3k just for the box!

Best option would be to hold out for a nice TT6 in black then you know everything is right.

Check these;

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=219487

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=218126

Or send Jurgen a message and I'm sure he'll be able to find you a stunner.

All depends on your budget.

*mini hijack*

How does one tell if they have ABS on their NA?

I didnt know if I had a LSD or not until one of the lads round here had a look at the chassis number plate and pointed out the letter indicating LSD, but as far as ABS goes.. would it be as simple as having the light on the dash during startup? (mine is a 94 SZ according to the chart - which means ABS was optional.. hoping that the fact it has LSD means it also got the ABS)

*mini hijack*

How does one tell if they have ABS on their NA?

I didnt know if I had a LSD or not until one of the lads round here had a look at the chassis number plate and pointed out the letter indicating LSD, but as far as ABS goes.. would it be as simple as having the light on the dash during startup? (mine is a 94 SZ according to the chart - which means ABS was optional.. hoping that the fact it has LSD means it also got the ABS)

Easiest way is to check under the bonnet. The ABS pump sits at the back right (you facing the front of the car.)

If you go the conversion route, keep the 5-speed as the 6 speed are around 3k including fitting. 5 speeds are fine at stock TT levels, and just about good enough for BPU power levels although you have to be careful in lower gears. Keron does conversions for £2300 which includes eveything you need for the swap and a service. If the car is right for you then get it done. It works out alo cheaper than buying a 6speed TT if you already own the car which you do, although it wont have as a high a resale value. I say go for it :thumbs:

I wouldn't advise keeping the 5spd box if you are planning to upgrade the TT engine to BPU levels. 5spd for a stock TT is supposedly fine and some say have noticed quicker acceleration. But a 6spd is definitely recommended.

Sell it and buy a TT, even if it's a sky blue pink one, it'll be cheaper, better and more saleable. A decent quality TT engine, drivetrain and associated bits change over is expensive. Nailing a dog tired oil burner in an N/A with scant regard to all the niceties is not the same as having a TT you have test driven and is factory pukka.

Humm cheers guys have been thinking about this alot and am thinking that I just can't spend 11000 on a car so converting would be the option.

So apart from the phisical bolting in of the new lump I assume the standard flywheel is ok but tt cluch is needed, also the fittment of a fmic and complete new tt wiring loom

/ecu is the STD diff ok to use? And the prop will go in ok and is the same length?

And are the tt brakes and suspention much different?

• 2 weeks later...

have you been thinking about 1jz gte conversion? This is what I'm going to do in next 2 months, same power like 2jz but less torque so diffs and gear box might last for long. Little num have one. You can drop him a pm if you would like some more info.