The mkiv Supra Owners Club

info req!

Guest damo1

Guest damo1

hi right boys in a month or so then the sale of my house gets completed in going for the supra instead of the skyline gtr off jurgen (imported) but ive noticed alot of members are replacing the twins with big singles and i think thats the route i want to go down so can i get these from japan or do i have to wait till its on uk shores to convert it.

also whats the difference with the insurance as i did a quick quote and they asked if it was an import does that mean it will be more expensive or cheaper...

any info will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Just buy one in Japan that's already converted and budget to do some optimisation on the ECU / fuelling / tuning when it arrives.

Insurance is likely to be more expensive as the car will have more power, be worth more and be more desirable to steal and strip down.

Plenty of information on here about all this stuff.

Guest damo1

thanks micheal for that i cant understand y insurance is more expensive than uk spec's stupid if you ask me...

anychance you can upload a link to this ta....

J-spec insurance be prepared to pay anything up to 50% more than a UK quote (from own personal experience).

Bests to buy a nice immaculate TT, then you can go under budget. If you like it as it is... you've saved some cash, if not be prepared to spend thousands on a single conversion for bits, labour if req'd etc.

If you're not too mechanically minded nor prepared to set aside funds for if a single goes wrong or such, I'd say a nice TT with BPU should satisfy you for at least a little while!

Insurance is more for a JDM car iirc because on some import cars parts are more expensive/harder to source than their UK equivalent as some JDM spec cars differ from Uk spec cars, so insurance companies just blanket bump the price up due to being an import (and a J-spec TT is ins group 20, a UK-TT is ins group 19... I think).

Guest damo1

well i will have about 10k to spend on car plus mods... but the rest im going to save as im going to open a garage to do mots service etc...

well i will have about 10k to spend on car plus mods... but the rest im going to save as im going to open a garage to do mots service etc...

For that money I'd stick with a tidy TT with BPU. You should then have money left for tires, servicing parts etc.

10k on a single will get you a single, but if you have an issue you'll have no money to fix it... budgeting to buy one of these cars should include servicing of wear and tear items imho as well as the cost of the car itself.

As said you wont get a good single for 10k, id try and find a clean low miles manual TT.

Also you have to consider the cost of upkeep, maintaining a single turbo car can be to much for some people, the ones that jump in feet first normally regret it.

Guest damo1
Out of interest, do you know the costs for setting up an MOT station?

not yet but im getting help from buisness link in yorkshire cant see it more than 20k

looks like i will be getting a nice low mileage tt then but definatly a manual.....