The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto box for big power singles!!!

dude

Just a little bit of investigation yet but I have found a way of fitting a 4 spd auto that will hold up to 1800 hp:), limiting factor on turbo size would be the stall converter you are willing to run on the street, allthough I have been told of a little trick with NOS that can make a large turbo spool like a little one and uses very little NOS. More soon, might make mine auto for next year:eyebrows:

Proper drag cars use autos - running a high HP Supra on the strip with a manual is like saying "it's OK, I'd rather run a 9 instead of an 8"... :D

:eyebrows:

Interested to know what box would be at the core of this Dude?

True, TH400 FTW.

Yep, or Powerglide - interested to see how you get on once yours is up and running, you have a great spec to put down some decent times :thumbs:

Problem with the established Drag auto options for the high HP Supra is the lack of gears without something like a Gear Vendors OD unit in the mix. Sounds like Dude has a new base that's 4-Speed already....

There was another option based on another yank box that was 4-Sp but I forget the model designation, I'm sure I've posted it previously somewhere.

I can only see the gear vendor kit come into it's full use on motorway driving, on the strip a 3 speed should suffice giving the right TC and gear ratio. I would love to get the vendor kit, but it's silly money, would be ideal for the standing mile competition tho.

The set up is currently on a race car, it is an overdrive unit but it works in each gear, the trick will be getting the gearing in the box correct, the guy im talking to has it behind a glide but I would like to use a TH400.

lol quite the marketeer Dude :p

For info (for those searching) - Powerglides and TH400's are ideal yank autoboxes to use on a high HP Supra when they are rebuilt / uprated for the job but are only really suited to the drag strip. In the case of the Powerglide it's a 2-Speed box and the TH400 is a 3-Speed box, neither of which are great for road use when you want to cruise for many miles - high revs, poor fuel economy etc.

You can add an 'overdrive unit' into the mix, such as the Gear Vendors item:

http://www.gearvendors.com/racing.html#powerglide

Which effectively will give you an 'overdrive' gear for every stock gear, so in the case of the 2-Speed Powerglide box you'll then have 1st, 1st-over, 2nd and 2nd-over - effectively giving you a 4-Speed high HP auto transmission as per Dude's description. Example of such a setup on the strip here:

zZdO8CdFWRw

Cheers,

Brian.

True, but SP have done their custom 4L80E setup in quite a few high powered spras, and while there may not be a lot of uprated parts locally to you, there are LOADS in the US (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm) and SP can build it for you...

Now thats what im talking about, I will drop them a line and see what HP and Torque that thing can take, I can see my car being auto again by next year with a set of 4.11 gears for drag racing.