The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ride Height of Front Bumper

Stewart10

Just did this to the front of my car on a hill I knew I shouldn't have attempted :(

What are my options here? Can I repair this one now or is it possible to get one where I don't wince everytime I near a hill, speedbump or pothole? It is showing pink fibreglass underneath now and going to start cracking around the impact area.

DSC00336.JPG

That can be pretty easily fixed. I hit a fox and had similar damage to my front in a couple of places, the body shop did a brilliant job of taking it all back and building it back up and spraying it, it's like new now and only cost £150. I was concerned with the structure of the bumper being compromised but the bodyshop showed me bumpers can be repaired fairly easily and safely if done well.

Anyway, point is - get it repaired!

Dont go down the route of replacing, in the world of bodywork, thats such a simple repair, fix the crack, fix the cracking in the gelcoat, so simple, dont worry, shoud be cheap enough if you find a decent bodyshop who work with fibreglass;)

Hi is it on coilovers? You can adjust the ride height, not great but better than keeping cracking it on our rubbish roads/speed bumps. Mine's in the bodyshop after cracking the front diffuser :( had it heightened now so its about 3 inches off the ground instead of 1 1/2 :D

i could be wrong but your front looks like top secret type 1 to me and if it is i had the same height issues with mine so i changed it to top secrets type 2 which is a little higher off the ground and touch wood i havent hit it yet

Ouch. An easy fix, yes, but it's hardly the point. This is exactly the reason I stuck with the stock front / aero-lip combo - nice and low looks-wise (when correctly colour-matched) but still has a bit of flex so that any particularly vicious speed bumps don't rip it to shreds. The scraped paint tells me that it was a wise choice!

Anyway, that would be my recommendation to keep the car usable in more places. Body kits look great (well, some do) but aren't that practical all the time.

i could be wrong but your front looks like top secret type 1 to me and if it is i had the same height issues with mine so i changed it to top secrets type 2 which is a little higher off the ground and touch wood i havent hit it yet

I have compared mine to your pics and it looks exactly the same. Are your pics of a type 1 or type 2?