The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA 2jz GE to TT 2jz GTE swap reliability

Supra Gaz

Hi guys, I have done a search on this and cannot find what I am looking for.

I have a lovely NA j spec auto which I want to convert to TT, I understand I could sell mine and buy a TT and save some cash but my NA is exactly what I want and has some nice rare body and interior parts.

My question is - 'how reliable is a supra after a conversion if done by one of the pros ie Dude at AFR or Keron at Extreme performance, I know these guys are the best and I don't doubt there work, but some feedback from those who have had it done would be great.

If it turns out to be un-reliable I am going to go mad and buy an Fd Rx7 and convert one of those (which would be un-reliable)

I'm looking into possibly doing this myself but from what i can gather there seems to be A.) a shortage of parts to do the conversion at the moment or b.) a shortage of ppl to do it. Such as this may however, all feedback i've had so far from people having gone through the process has been positive. It doesnt seem like a massively log winded process and as long as you have a good NA base for the conversion and source a decent TT lump then it should be pretty smoothe sailing. Are you planning on keeping your Car auto or changing it to a 5/6speed at the same time. The latter would cost considerably more as the manual gearboxes arent cheap which is why i'm on the lookout for a good Manual NA as a base at the moment.

I would prefer to keep my car, I thought of taking all the parts off and transfering them but I have grown attached to my car, also I am going to be getting it re-sprayed soon so it will be imaculate.

I will be keeping the auto box Dan, it suits me very nicely.

I am glad that there havnt been any horror stories so far, I am expecting my first kid soon and have managed to find a child seat that fits (thank you search button) and the misses has said I can keep the Supra

I am in no rush to get it done, I will be collecting the best parts as they become available, i am going to be doing it properly.

I would prefer to keep my car, I thought of taking all the parts off and transfering them but I have grown attached to my car, also I am going to be getting it re-sprayed soon so it will be imaculate.

I am glad that there havnt been any horror stories so far, I am expecting my first kid soon and have managed to find a child seat that fits (thank you search button) and the misses has said I can keep the Supra

I am in no rush to get it done, I will be collecting the best parts as they become available, i am going to be doing it properly.

Good luck with this mate. :D

Sounds just like me. I'm too attached to my car too to sell it and buy a tt. It's not in immaculate condition, but i'm going to get it resprayed soon after i get ny na-tt conversion done (It's going in on monday. ;))

My missus is also expecting and i've convinced her that a baby seat will easily fit into the back. ;)

...and yes i'm keeping it auto too. :D

Saying "also I am going to be getting it re-sprayed soon so it will be imaculate" is a non argument either way though is it, you could get the new car sprayed & that would be immaculate.

I don't see why I have to defend my decision to keep my car Jevan, if you don't have any advice on the reliabilty of the conversion why waste time posting? I am simply trying to find advice to a technical question.

Congratulations with the expected mobsta, drop me a pm once the conversion is done, I would love to know how it went.

Ps the baby seat fits perfectly, no arguement from the misses!

I don't see why I have to defend my decision to keep my car Jevan, if you don't have any advice on the reliabilty of the conversion why waste time posting? I am simply trying to find advice to a technical question.

Congratulations with the expected mobsta, drop me a pm once the conversion is done, I would love to know how it went.

Thanks bud. Congrats to you too. :D

Baby's due in November. I'm not sure which seat to buy yet, but i still managed to convince her. ;) Can you tell me which one you've found? Saves me looking searching for it. :p

I'll be putting up full details of the conversion once it's done on here. I've never heard of any problems with it bein done before, so fingers crossed i won't be the first. :D

Where are you having the conversion done Mobsta?? I'm looking into it at the moment like yourself and Gaz. I've emailed Keron and AFR and heard nothing back as of yet. What price have you been quoted also? Looking forward to the write up once you have it done. All the best for Monday mate.

I know exactly where your coming from Gaz, i absolutely LOVED my Auto NA when i had it and it and if it wasnt an auto i would have kept it and TT'd just becasue it was MY car. Are you planning on going BPU once you have the conversion. It could be worth saving up that little bit more and having it all done at the same time. It isnt even that much extra work. You may have to ask about whether your NA auto box would be good for BPU power levels tho in the long run, not sure if it'd have a detramental effect or not. Only 200 squid for a TT box tho however ;) Cheap as chips !

I will be going straight into Bpu Dan, yoir right, if it's in, it might as well get everthing have everything done at once. I have done a bit of research and I think my NA gearbox would explode fairly spectacularly the first time it came on boost (sounds fun!) with BPU so I'm going to play safe and get a TT box fitted.

I am hoping Dude can do the conversion as he is around the corner from me but he is reeeealy busy at the moment, I have to get all the bits together first anyway.

Your better off calling Dude, he's a brilliant bloke and taking mine for a good service next month. (garage is worth popping down too, it's like car heaven)

Where are you having the conversion done Mobsta?? I'm looking into it at the moment like yourself and Gaz. I've emailed Keron and AFR and heard nothing back as of yet. What price have you been quoted also? Looking forward to the write up once you have it done. All the best for Monday mate.

Thanks mate. :D

Getting the conversion done at Whifbitz. Keron's closer to me but all my na-tt parts are at Whifbitz already.

I had to source my own parts and am picking up a tt auto box on my way down to the garage on monday.

Thanks mate. :D

Getting the conversion done at Whifbitz. Keron's closer to me but all my na-tt parts are at Whifbitz already.

I had to source my own parts and am picking up a tt auto box on my way down to the garage on monday.

Let us know how this goes down mate, maybe come with some pics. Really interested and possibly doing the conversion in the same place early spring next year. :D

I will be going straight into Bpu Dan, yoir right, if it's in, it might as well get everthing have everything done at once. I have done a bit of research and I think my NA gearbox would explode fairly spectacularly the first time it came on boost (sounds fun!) with BPU so I'm going to play safe and get a TT box fitted.

I am hoping Dude can do the conversion as he is around the corner from me but he is reeeealy busy at the moment, I have to get all the bits together first anyway.

Your better off calling Dude, he's a brilliant bloke and taking mine for a good service next month. (garage is worth popping down too, it's like car heaven)

Sounds like a good plan mate, i was pretty sure the auto box wouldnt be up to the job but didnt want to say incase i was wrong. Have you sourced any of the parts needed yet? I might think about making up a wanted thread and trying to get a group buy once i've got the right NA manual for me. The NA-T conversion Whifbitz is putting together looks like a good bit of kit aswell. The costs dont look all that different than what it'll take to do a TT conversion to BPU level.

Will do mate definitely. Might not be as technical as most of the write ups on here, but I will put up plenty of pics :D. I'll be even more excited once I get my car back. Probably won't stop rambling on about it at every opportunity. :D

I was thinking of going bpu at the same time, but then I figured stock tt power is still quite a lot of an increase from my n/a. (& it's probably a good way of controllin my levels of excitement) ;)

Hi Dan, I am just finishing off the interior with some leather recaros so I havnt started collecting bits or the conversion yet. I was considering dropping it in with keron for a one-stop does all kind of job, it means leaving my car with him and going seeing my mother close by though (meh). I would like to see how mobsta's conversion goes and decide what to do from there.

The whifbitz na-t kit does sound the dogs proverbials, but I fancy sticking a GTE in and starting from there, it's all about preference and burning cash before the misses gets hold of it!

Will do mate definitely. Might not be as technical as most of the write ups on here, but I will put up plenty of pics :D. I'll be even more excited once I get my car back. Probably won't stop rambling on about it at every opportunity. :D

I was thinking of going bpu at the same time, but then I figured stock tt power is still quite a lot of an increase from my n/a. (& it's probably a good way of controllin my levels of excitement) ;)

Very true ! Dont want to go all the way straight away i suppose, you can build up to it. Make sure you include all the parts you sourced, where from, prices, stuff like that, that others like myself can read and learn from.

Hi Dan, I am just finishing off the interior with some leather recaros so I havnt started collecting bits or the conversion yet. I was considering dropping it in with keron for a one-stop does all kind of job, it means leaving my car with him and going seeing my mother close by though (meh). I would like to see how mobsta's conversion goes and decide what to do from there.

The whifbitz na-t kit does sound the dogs proverbials, but I fancy sticking a GTE in and starting from there, it's all about preference and burning cash before the misses gets hold of it!

Lol very true... i opt for the lying and the "It was only about £40 all together babe" method :D

I'm going to keep a close eye on the single conversion and see what comes of it. Although after closer inspection i notcied the £4000 didnt include fitting so it would end up being dearer than a NA-TT BPU conversion me thinks. Although, a single is a different kettle of fish when compared to the TT so it could be worth the extra.

I am soooo jealous, Good luck with it mate and loads of pictures when done

I use the 'it was only £40 method too', I told her I managed to get a set of recaros and get them trimmed in leather for £200, she isn't stupid, she knows I'm bending the truth, she just doesn't care (yay!).