The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na-t advice please

Rob_Mitchell

hello guys im in the proceeds of putting together a na-t kit myself as i think ill be happy with the results and its something a bit different.

i dont intend on doing things cheap or cutting corners in anyway, been in contact with paul at whiffbitz and his kit seems to be good value and the parts being used are quality.

i plan on buying most of the stuff from paul but want to know if people recommend specific items eg- a decent turbo and manifold???

will a BW turbo be up to the job? input from you guys is highly appreciated.

many thanks rob

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That xs power GT35 is junk, real ones are not that much money.

What sort of power do you want? BW is 600+bhp turbo and a real GT35 is 550+bhp

I would have thought the BW being so large would be no good for na-t unless you are changing to a TT style intake setup?

I would look at something like a Garrett GT3071 for about 450bhp max.

to be honest jamie im not after huge bhp figures around 380-400 would be a nice target to aim at. i was thinking the BW would be too big, i want to go for a turbo which is of a good recommendation so ill look into the one you suggest mate.

although im a mechanic and dad owns his own company we are sort of strangers to all this sort of work, and electronics are not my favourite thing.

cheers for your input jamie its all taken aboad

http://www.clubna-t.com for all ure na-t questions :)

stock internals and head are good for 700fwhp on a supra na, thats what ive read and seen people doing on clubna-t.

Gearbox, clutch and fueling might be the only problem on na-t along with intake sucking up warm air. Turbo blanket or thermal coating is a recomendation and wrapping headers also is. Also the distributor cap can be in the way of the turbo, so u will need to either relocate, or use a 4runner dizzy cap to clear space for the turbo.

XSpower hardware does work, it is medium quality. It works pretty good and seems to be the best bang for buck

na-t kit on the clubna-t forums. Havnt tryed it myself tho but i think i am going to once my budget allows me :)

Altough if u wanna play it safe and want quality products people recomend paul's hardware or a boostwerx kit.

And if u really want top of the line stuff go for a PHR (powerhouse racing) na-t kit.

Gearboxes:

NA auto: will hold 320rwhp max with an oil cooler will last around a year or 2 before needs rebuild.

NA W58: 400/450ish whp avg life of 2 years, 350whp 5+ years of life on the tranny. (all dependant on treatment of box)

NA V161/160: 1000+ hp nearly indestructible box :)

Gl on the build m8

Edited by Ricardod (see edit history)

thanks ricardod, yeah i have been a member on there for a while, very helpful club but wording can be a pain. yeah definately need turbo blanket or sheild.... and rolls of heat wrap.

ill try and post a rough check list up and then people can recommend changes or advise that way.... i thought turbo and manifold is the main exspense and a good starting buy thats all.

If i was building one i would speak to the guy that use to build the manifolds for turbofit, they was quality, gave plenty of room round everything, he had a jig and was in the building next door, id not be supprised if he had a couple of manifolds kicking about.

If i was building one i would speak to the guy that use to build the manifolds for turbofit, they was quality, gave plenty of room round everything, he had a jig and was in the building next door, id not be supprised if he had a couple of manifolds kicking about.

sounds like a plan, is there non on the market which are of good quality though? i think the turbo and manifold is a huge decision and cant be rushed into.... but i want it now.

thanks for the input mate i was hoping you would help out where you can, as i know you was planning one before.

my rough list of bits (wish list)

1) turbo and manifold ** undecided** (good start)

2) front mount intercooler or paul whiffins side mount.

3) Hard Pipe DIY Kit for 2JZGE Turbo Kit

4) 1.3mm Headgasket Kit ** if needed for the target bhp**

5) GReddy eManage Ultimate

6) some sort of BOV

7) Turbo Blanket or sheild

8) heat wrapping, lots of rolls

9) innovate lc-1 wideband kit

10) custome oil lines, as i know the ones in most kits are poop

there is a lot more to list im sure there is but here is my starting point- as before any advice would be very handy.

I would look at something like a Garrett GT3071 for about 450bhp max.

He'll be running lower boost though on the 2JZGE, the GT3071 at say 0.8bar I'd guess would be closer to around 400hp. The GT3582R should be good for 450hp at those boost levels.

He'll be running lower boost though on the 2JZGE, the GT3071 at say 0.8bar I'd guess would be closer to around 400hp. The GT3582R should be good for 450hp at those boost levels.

Strange way of looking at things, on a na-t id rather have a faster spooling turbo, i cant see what boost he runs has got to do with anything tbh.

Strange way of looking at things, on a na-t id rather have a faster spooling turbo, i cant see what boost he runs has got to do with anything tbh.

The higher compression ratio of the 2JZGE will limit the boost pressure he'll safely be able to run.

Becuase of DET? bhp will limit that, not boost.

Both turbos would reach about the same bhp when det starts to become a factor, just one will run a little more boost than the other, and spool faster.

Either way from what he has said i think he is only looking for what the stock injectors can run.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

am i right in thinking that having the side mount will make spooling quicker too, im not going to be running high boost... your correct in what your saying