The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I have found the joy

TonytotheB

For the first time since I bought her, I went out for a cruise in my NA. I went around the quiet country roads of Oxfordland. My word! I have finally now worked out how to squeeze the power out of my Supra. For the past 2 weeks, I have been getting 'had off' by Audis, BMWs and even Mini Coopers - all because I didn't know how to drive my car properly. Yes, she's an NA. Yes, she'd be faster if she was a TT. But she is bloody fast compared to anything I have ever driven. The power curve starts at around 3500rpm - I know that now! So dropping two gears when idling at 3000rpm because a Focus RS comes up behind me, now means I can rocket away and ultimately knock my head back. And the power doesn't end at 5000rpm like my old car. It keeps going until 7000rpm.

That's why I bought her. I wanted something that would bring a smile to my face. I have certainly found that!!

I bet you TT guys are thinking "yes but mine's 400BHP". Fair enough. I'll get there one day but one step at a time.

Anyway, overjoyed rant over! :p

I love my NA. I love the acceleration.

Peace

Great, isn't it!

:wooohoo:

Just be careful dropping gears (esp. at higher revs) in an auto if you have one, like me. According to the User Manual, ECT/Manual mode is designed for holding one gear in snow and ice so there are no surprises changing up or down unexpectedly but not sure of it's durability for 'proper' manual use, which it wasn't really designed for, it seems.

The ECT in the MKIII was so mental that it was practically impossible to use it anywhere safely but they seem to have ruined it. I want my old ECT back! :(

Anyway, have fun (safely - if there is such a thing?) but be sure to allow the gearbox to cool down regularly, as it's the number one cause of failure in an auto box. Might be worth fitting a trans temp gauge and cooler to monitor normal vs. 'enthusiastic' driving temps. I'll be doing this myself someday........

:)

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Great, isn't it!

Just be careful dropping gears (esp. at higher revs) in an auto if you have one, like me. According to the User Manual, ECT/Manual mode is designed for holding one gear in snow and ice so there are no surprises changing up or down unexpectedly but not sure of it's durability for 'proper' manual use, which it wasn't really designed for, it seems.

The ECT in the MKIII was so mental that it was practically impossible to use it anywhere safely but they seem to have ruined it. I want my old ECT back! :(

Anyway, have fun (safely - if there is such a thing?) but be sure to allow the gearbox to cool down regularly, as it's the number one cause of failure in an auto box. Might be worth fitting a trans temp gauge and cooler to monitor normal vs. 'enthusiastic' driving temps. I'll be doing this myself someday........

WTF man mode is ment to be used in snow? Where on earth does it say that? Maybe in 1. But if thats the case why does it make the gears shift faster? I use in Manu all the time never had an issue with my unserviced n/a. Come to think about it i used my TT in it too. I think something is wrong with what your reading.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Great, isn't it!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=86128 Auto box modes explained. :)

WTF man mode is ment to be used in snow? Where on earth does it say that? Maybe in 1. But if thats the case why does it make the gears shift faster? I use in Manu all the time never had an issue with my unserviced n/a. Come to think about it i used my TT in it too. I think something is wrong with what your reading.

Just quoting the re-printed and translated manual that I bought on ebay "based on the Japanese original", since mine didn't come with one. You know how manufacturers like Toyota expect you to adhere strictly to their design specs. whilst anyone getting in the car would assume that manual meant, well, manual!

Obviously the box will stand considerable abuse and different auto boxes use different designs etc. but like I say, just keep an eye on fluid temperatures and install a proper cooler/fan/gauge combo if possible for prolonged bouts of high revving.

Mine's a manual guys, hence why I FAILED to drop down enough gears. My fault. Not the car :p

I've just had her washed and she looks mint. Cannot wait for a meet - seeing TTs and stuff - but have some little scratches to sort first. Don't feel 100% proud of mine yet!

Cheers boys

Sorry Tony. Replying to Beast in your thread. Glad you've got it sussed though.

I haven't driven a manual.....yet :D I'm looking forward to that experience. :)

No worries mate. There are so many types here, we're bound to get diverted replying to other peeps.

I've started saving again for a TT. 2 years time. I cannot even imagine how a 400BHP car feels

:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

No worries mate. There are so many types here, we're bound to get diverted replying to other peeps.

I've started saving again for a TT. 2 years time. I cannot even imagine how a 400BHP car feels

:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Well when you're ready to buy, make sure to ask around on here first, as I've been told by a couple of guys (without my asking), that they'd have sold me theirs for around £5000 (in an attempt to emphasize that I paid way too much for my NA auto).

Massive eye roll at this post pal! :blink:

Tonight I was just pottering about and seeing what she could do.

lol i was only jesting mate. If anything im jealous, as i have yet to experience this feeling! :(

Good luck with it. Glad your enjoying it. :)

Great, a thread about the fact you have to rag an NA to get it to go.........:D

4500 - 6500 Rpm FTW....or maybe not if you're up against anything decent....:blink:

H.

Winning is over-rated anyway :tongue:

Edit; unless there's money involved, of course!