The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lambda O2 sensor(s) replaced = one hell of a difference

clarky666

Just thought i would post this as i'd been humming and hawwing over the last couple of months regarding this.

Running a completely standard N/A auto setup other than an aftermarket air filter and my fuel economy has been getting poorer since i put the Supra back on the road after the harsh winter we had. Initially thought it was a combination of fuel prices hiking up but i'd started being a bit more methodical and nothing down how much juice i was putting in and resetting my counter each time i filled up. Was getting to the stage where i was down to around 80-ish miles off £20 and you could see it was over fuelling whilst standing behind the car even if it was warmed up to normal temp sitting at idle and getting a very potent whiff of the fumes.

Got the car serviced yesterday and decided to swap out the o2 sensors on her whilst i was at it (thanks to Keron for those). Made sure she only had enough petrol to get her to the garage, took her for a run after it and put in another £20 and after a spirited motorway drive back to my flat then another couple of trips on slower rural roads to the golf course and back i'm sitting at around 120 miles on the clock and not even hitting the orange warning light yet.

That is one hell of a difference to be fair. Wish i had acted earlier now !! I know this aint a shoe-in fix for the over fuelling / poor economy but it definitely is worth considering sooner rather than later if having similar problems especially the way petrol prices are going. :cool:

Edited by clarky666 (see edit history)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting to the point where i need a full service on my n/a. i will put one of these on the list of things to be done. Thanks for the tip.

You'll need to put 2 on the list.

NA - 2 x O2 sensors

J-Spec TT - 1 x O2 sensor

UK TT - 2 x O2 sensors

The oxygen sensors are not cheap, around the price of a tank of fuel each, but they should quickly pay for themselves in fuel savings. The car should also feel more lively at low rpms.

how much are these

NA - 2 x O2 sensors

get them from toyota??

No idea what they'd be for a NA sorry, I bought a genuine Toyota one though, I've heard bad things about generic ones, but don't take my word for it.

I'd imagine Whifbitz or someone like that would be able to source you one?

Part numbers

89465-19635 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT

89465-19725 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT VVTi

89465-19605 Oxygen Sensor - Front - UK Spec

89465-19595 Oxygen Sensor - Rear - UK Spec

89465-19615 Oxygen Sensor - NA x 2

Toyota were something daft like £125 + VAT if i recall correctly, which was bad enough before i realised i needed two for the N/A as i think one is before the cat and one after.

I managed to get two from Keron try him before wasting your dosh on Toyota.

Nice one, thanks for the info :)

Question, are the lambda sensors from companies from the web alright? If so, they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper than what we're talking about on here.....

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other websites, so if I can't can a mod please take the link off please?

These guys have them new for around £60

http://www.autogateway.co.uk/NewCategory--ExhaustLambdaValveSensor-110.25#