The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would cause a 2 wk old tyre to just blowout?

Blackie

As the title. The tyre has been used for two weeks and it just popped. Pressures were checked before the drive (32 for a 19") and there is no visable nail or whatever in it. No reason, just a shreading blow out. Any clues?

EDIT: It was driving at 60mph on a smooth link road

Been sat on the shelf a long time, what's the date stamp?

I read they had one ages ago but cant seem to find where to find it?

what make of tyre, what speed rating and did you bounce it up a kerb at any point?

No where near a kerb JB, I cant seem to see a speed rating on them but they are these ACCELERA I have used them on mine for the past four years with no troubles at all

usually if tyres sit on the shelf for a long time the rubber will partly dry....with any rubber really, and seeming as branners pointed out your on 19's...it just seems you were given a dodgy tyre mate:(

I guess because there an irregular size (265/30/19) there not ordered that much and sit around, Any ideas on how to combat this? (Apart from get 17's)

go for better quailty tyres next time, order them in, doubt you can do anything about it, unless you can find the date on the tyres, your purchase reciepts, law info and figure it all out to prove they wernt fit for sale, to be honest this is why im sticking with wide 17", original ride size for the car and tyres (a regular service item) which arnt hard to get hold of.

Accelera? Look like ditch finders to me lol. I would go with manufacturing defect if it popped that quickly. There is a reason that some tyres are much more expensive than others and quality control will be one of those reasons.

The tyre wasent actually on my car, It was the other Supra. The weird thing is i have used these for years, Never had any problems and i have been pretty quick on them and then its on the other for two weeks, 60 mph and pop. So you think it was just a defective one? The tyres have been of the rim a month ago, That wouldent be anything to do with it?

i cant see a tyre just poping. my money would be on a small anount of previous damage that you havent notice that degraded as you were driving .

acellera are a budgit brand but the finish on the tyres they make is verry good and they are renound as a strong tyre if not one of the best performing

i cant see a tyre just poping. my money would be on a small anount of previous damage that you havent notice that degraded as you were driving .

acellera are a budgit brand but the finish on the tyres they make is verry good and they are renound as a strong tyre if not one of the best performing

Thats what i thought, They still have safty tests no matter how cheap they are dont they.

Yep, exactly like that :)