The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi,Few questions

Guest AdamR

Guest AdamR

Hey,

So i have a few questions before i buy myself a supra.

To be straight i saved up £20 grand and im planning on buying a supra and modifying it.

The plan was to save up buy a car, and then start an apprenticeship to become a mechanic. so right now i know precious little about cars and im going to buy a supra but have a few questions.

So im looking to get to 700-800hp.

Lets say i pickup a nice supra for £10k im guessing the best option will be the 6sp tt to mod?

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-garage-whifbitz-p-2436.html

it talks about 800 hp with supporting mods, I know i would need to upgrade Suspension, Exhaust and brakes. Other than that what sort of other mods are we talking about?

Thanks in advance for any replies/help/advice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to Michel Lane, hes up in your neck of the woods and by all accounts a very nice man indeed.

There is tons of info available about going big & single, check out some of the build projects to get a bird's eye view of whats entailed.

Thats as much guidance as I can give you my friend as I am not of the turbo persuasion!

Actually what supranature recommended is probably the best advise you are ever likely to get.

I have seen this car first hand recently and believe me when I tell you it is beyond immaculate. The attention to detail and the sheer presence of the car is gob-smacking.

If I had the cash I would have that car.

Guest AdamR

Thanks for replies, i dont want to just buy a finished car.

Michel Lane?

and that brings up another question if i have a tt and i purchased that mod will that replace one Turbo and leave one stock, if so then what sort of performance would replacing both give?

Thanks again

Guest AdamR

Ok, Thanks , i know that the non-turbo options are a lot cheaper so is there any point in me buying a tt to remove them?

non turbo and twin turbo blocks although very very similar are different. as are internals i think? niggley things also like the distributor being in the way. aswell as drivetrains and a few other things that stop big power that you want. you dont see many na 's with a turbo that go over 550bhp. At least i havent.

the cost to mod them over the 450-500 point i think is prohibative unless you start replacing geerboxes and dif's etc

in general people say to convert a car to single turbo properly (good parts etc) will cost you 10k+ some might say more like 15k, god knows how much jamiep has spent :p . and i assume that is without labour, and with a good base car (well running tt 6 speed)

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Not if you are trying to save money, no.

Honestly your best option is to buy a car like the one mention above and go from there. These cars are never finished, there is always something you can spend your hard earned cash on in an effort to go faster

But a car like the one mentioned has been converted properly and with absolutely no regard for a budget. It'll work day in and day out which is something a lot of chaps who went single wish they could say. Its the best possible starting point for big HP as all the supporting mods are there and have been tested.

If you don't mind me asking, why the huge interest in going single?

Guest AdamR
Not if you are trying to save money, no.

Honestly your best option is to buy a car like the one mention above and go from there. These cars are never finished, there is always something you can spend your hard earned cash on in an effort to go faster

But a car like the one mentioned has been converted properly and with absolutely no regard for a budget. It'll work day in and day out which is something a lot of chaps who went single wish they could say. Its the best possible starting point for big HP as all the supporting mods are there and have been tested.

If you don't mind me asking, why the huge interest in going single?

im not interested in going single, what is the better option for big power?

Adam you need to do some research as if you want big power from a stock TT but not interested in going single then I would imagine your only option would be big twins and I would say to buy a stock TT for around 10k would not leave you anywhere near enough to achieve your goal.

I spent 15k on a great stock vvti TT and have done my best to do everything to the best standard possible when going for more power and supporting mods to go with that power and I am around the 60k mark including the purchase price so I think 20k to do a project yourself and do it right is well off the mark.

The best advice by far is buy something already done and just tweek it to make it your own, 20k will buy you 60k of someonelse's hard work and you will save a lot of headaches, and dissapointment when things don't arrive on schedule and your build takes 2 or 3 times longer than you hoped.

And if you want to see how badly wrong it can go see L33's heartache build. I think Lee into 20k at the moment on the build and it's still not right.

Kslb's advice is spot on. Chiefgroovers car is, imo, well under priced.

UK Rich has his for sale too and that car is virtually brand new.

Don't rush this.

Oops, welcome to the club. :)

Guest AdamR

Ok so if i bought this car

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1708380.htm

Which comes with nice exterior/ interior,

probably haggle to £12k, It comes with TEIN coilover suspension, 18" VEILSIDE alloys, full VEILSIDE bodykit, sports exhaust, RECARA Interior.

So if i went for that single Turbo 800hp at 4k

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-garage-whifbitz-p-2436.html

Thats total 16k, What other "supporting mods" would i need to add in order to reach 800hp?

I dont want this to be a race car just a high performance road car.

Guest AdamR
I meant to add, speak to Jurgen (club member) he will sort you out with the right car for the right money.

Yeah i was looking at his site last night, some nice cars

You need all your fuel system components, ecu, gearbox, intercooler, there's loads more. Speak to Whifbitz, AFR, Lee P at SRD and they will put you on track.

Lee P and JamieP both have catalogued threads itemising every phase of expensive 800+ bhp builds.

Loads more big power builds on Supraforums too.

So if i went for that single Turbo 800hp at 4k

Thats total 16k, What other "supporting mods" would i need to add in order to reach 800hp?

I dont want this to be a race car just a high performance road car.

Welcome to the club Adam.

You really need to do a lot more research, the link is just for the turbo kit, that is a small fraction of what is required to achieve a 'reliable' 800hp.

The engine would need to be rebuilt with stronger internals; pistons, rods, bearing, cams, etc.

The fuel system would need to be completely replaced, pump, lines, rail, injectors, etc.

You'd need a stronger clutch and LSD to handle the power.

You'd need to replace the ECU, including all new sensors, harnesses, mapping, etc.

You'd require a number of gauges in the car to monitor things, plus a boost controller.

You'll be looking at £10K+ for the turbo kit and supporting mods, that's before the engine rebuild and any suspension, braking, tyres, etc. to handle the power. All in all I doubt you'd get much change from £20K once you add it up that's without the price of the car on top.

I suggest you have a look through the members garages to get an idea of the type of modifications required. Start with mine HERE I was running a modest 540hp and that cost well in excess of £10k.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

dude £20k is a good bit, import a hardtop tt6 for lets say £9-10k from japan, then insure it, then mod with the money you have left , becuase i bet anything you will get a £10k supra, pound £7-8 into then cant run + service it...:) or just get a nice tt6, drive it and enjoy the rest of you monehs.:D

Guest AdamR
Welcome to the club Adam.

You really need to do a lot more research, the link is just for the turbo kit, that is a small fraction of what is required to achieve a 'reliable' 800hp.

The engine would need to be rebuilt with stronger internals; pistons, rods, bearing, cams, etc.

The fuel system would need to be completely replaced, pump, lines, rail, injectors, etc.

You'd need a stronger clutch and LSD to handle the power.

You'd need to replace the ECU, including all new sensors, harnesses, mapping, etc.

You'd require a number of gauges in the car to monitor things, plus a boost controller.

You'll be looking at £10K+ for the turbo kit and supporting mods, that's before the engine rebuild and any suspension, braking, tyres, etc. to handle the power. All in all I doubt you'd get much change from £20K once you add it up that's without the price of the car on top.

I suggest you have a look through the members garages to get an idea of the type of modifications required. Start with mine HERE I was running a modest 540hp and that cost well in excess of £10k.

Thanks for your advice, there is a couple of cars on an import site for around 14k which have a lot of those mods you mentioned, what do you guys think of this value wise.

EDITED by mod: The company linked is not allowed to be discussed here due to threads of legal action against the club.

Edited by Homer (see edit history)

Thanks for your advice, there is a couple of cars on an import site for around 14k which have a lot of those mods you mentioned, what do you guys think of this value wise.

All I will say for legal reasons is to do a SEARCH on the club for 'Boyz Toyz'