The mkiv Supra Owners Club

springs

Roy

As you lower a car the distance between the tops of the shocks and the bump stop rubbers decreases. So you need a stiffer spring to stop it hitting the bump rubbbers, the spring rate jumping astronomically high, and the handling becoming dangerous. As I have said countless times lowering the Supra much is a really good way to screw up the handling. To lower one properly would be an utterly mammoth task only worth considering for a serious race car.

Do you recommend any springs Chris for people who want just springs? Maybe the Espelir ones that give just a 18mm drop?

How much drop before the handling knacks up? Everyone with Eibachs allways say how good they are, and how the car feels so much better.

Paul

I've got Eibachs on mine, i gotta say, i've noticed no handling changes for every day normal driving. A little less roll on fast corners maybe.....

I'm well chuffed with 'em. The car looks great and goes over speed humps no probs too.:)

A little-boys job to fit also.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Do you recommend any springs Chris for people who want just springs? Maybe the Espelir ones that give just a 18mm drop?

How much drop before the handling knacks up? Everyone with Eibachs allways say how good they are, and how the car feels so much better.

Paul

Springs and shocks MUST be matched together, just changing to a stiffer / softer / whatever spring and leaving dampers on designed to damp a different rate spring is like putting 3 heavy pistons in the engine alongside three stock ones..

Get UK suspension Roy, i love it, it's very soft and designed for our roads.....think i must be getting old too! :p

Nick, you must be on commission from Chris i think, i know you love the CW suspension setup you have said it many a time lol, but thats £1200 and roy asked about springs :)

Cheers

Paul

Originally posted by Roy

thanks chris. it looks like it maybe back to stock springs for me at some point. maybe i'm just getting old and want a slightly softer ride ........ :(

:p

I have a set of sponge-like UK springs in a box at home - you are welcome to give them a try if you like.

You'll need a sailors outfit and a jolly roger once you fit them though, the driving experience turns into a sailing simulator with every bend :)

Originally posted by mcanny

I have a set of sponge-like UK springs in a box at home - you are welcome to give them a try if you like.

You'll need a sailors outfit and a jolly roger once you fit them though, the driving experience turns into a sailing simulator with every bend :)

michael - thanks for your very kind and generous offer. i will prob PM you if i take you up on that offer ! :)

I wonder how much the late REAS kit is and whether you can fit it to an older sup?

This has great ride comfort, but the linked shocks lessen body roll, so its like a uk car in a straight line, but with a lot less roll on turns.

Cost is probably prohibitive for what is just another stock system, but it definitely ‘works’ imo, after all, a similar, but more advanced system, is used on cars like the audi RS6 etc

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Nick, you must be on commission from Chris i think, i know you love the CW suspension setup you have said it many a time lol, but thats £1200 and roy asked about springs :)

LOL, no commision, just a bacon sarnie when I arrive for some work :)

I can't help but recommend it when I think back to what the car used to be like in comparision. Don't waste money on just the springs, save for a complete setup!! :)

Originally posted by Nick

LOL, no commision, just a bacon sarnie when I arrive for some work :)

I can't help but recommend it when I think back to what the car used to be like in comparision. Don't waste money on just the springs, save for a complete setup!! :)

One bacon sarnie left at the usual drop, cheers Nick.... :p

Roy, you have been in mine more than once and you always commented at the difference in the feel (Better?).

Ive taken people out for rides in mine who have "Uprated suspension" on their cars and have said they would not attempt corners at the same speed mine takes in its stride?

(and i dont push to the limits)

Obviously tyres also have a bearing on the cornering abilities, but the point is Dont overlook softer suspension just because race or track cars need harder / stiffer set ups.

Dave :flame Dev

Originally posted by Geezabloke

Roy, you have been in mine more than once and you always commented at the difference in the feel (Better?).

Ive taken people out for rides in mine who have "Uprated suspension" on their cars and have said they would not attempt corners at the same speed mine takes in its stride?

Obviously tyres also have a bearing on the cornering abilities, but the point is Dont overlook softer suspension just because race or track cars need harder / stiffer set ups.

I am assuming you have the standard uk setup ? :stupid:

Quick question, as we seem to be on a hot topic . I've got a J-spec car which I've only had a few weeks, and the ride is wonderful (I think). AFAIK it's standard suspension. The only non-standard thing on the car are the 17" wheels which blow IMO, but I'm sticking with them for now.

However, while the suspension at the back is pretty dope looking, the front is kinda whack, like I'm going off road or something. It's jacked up like a Hi-Lux for god's sake.

(BTW, if anyone wants to see in some pics, I'd have to take some - I've not got any yet)

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can bring the front down about 25mm - nothing drastic - while NOT compromising cornering? I don't mind if it changes the ride... I'm no old man. ;)

I don't feel the need to change the rear, but if they need matching then so be it. What does ChrisW suspension setup consist of out of interest?

Cheers all!

Originally posted by Geezabloke

dave - strangely enough, i was thinking of your set-up when i asked for opinions on softer springs. taking into consideration CW's advice, maybe the UK spec suspension is better for my lardy arse ? what exactly have you got on yours ? if stock - then what exact components make up the UK set-up ? ta dave ...

Originally posted by Roy

dave - strangely enough, i was thinking of your set-up when i asked for opinions on softer springs. taking into consideration CW's advice, maybe the UK spec suspension is better for my lardy arse ? what exactly have you got on yours ? if stock - then what exact components make up the UK set-up ? ta dave ...

Yes Roy.....its stock but has been carefully run in for 80k

I was considering keeping stock but with harder bushes and stiffer anti role (sway) bars, but after talking to some people in the know have been put off this also unless for track use?

Would welcome other opinions?