The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shimless bucket conversion

jevansio

I know Jamie's new engine came with these but has anyone done the conversion themselves?

I've read it's as simple as measuring the current shim on bucket size & ordering shimless buckets from an MR2 MK3 (plus or minus any adjustment you want to make on the clearance)

Apparently it's very common over the pond & in the MR2 world. Should make the extra revs I want to run that bit safer & it's hardly looking like an expensive mod & something which I could swap over in an afternoon

Further reading:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168759

Just make sure you pick the right cams, i have to pay out to have it all done again when i go to 280 cams.

Good point, I was going to go HKS 272 ex / 264 in, as my turbo is only 67mm. You think that combo may be a bit too small & I may regret in the future?

Good point, I was going to go HKS 272 ex / 264 in, as my turbo is only 67mm. You think that combo may be a bit too small & I may regret in the future?

That will be fine on a 67 but if you upgrade later i thing the 280's will be better on anything over 70mm.

I know Jamie's new engine came with these but has anyone done the conversion themselves?

I've read it's as simple as measuring the current shim on bucket size & ordering shimless buckets from an MR2 MK3 (plus or minus any adjustment you want to make on the clearance)

Apparently it's very common over the pond & in the MR2 world. Should make the extra revs I want to run that bit safer & it's hardly looking like an expensive mod & something which I could swap over in an afternoon

Further reading:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168759

Yes it's pretty much that simple.

You need to be careful when measuring your shim / bucket assembly as there is a little extrusion on the bottom of the bucket that the valve sits against. Quite often this will have worn slightly (after all it's getting battered by the valve!) and you want to measure this battered bit to the top of the shim.

I think the shims are about £15 a throw, so whilst not the end of the world, they aren't cheap for a full set, so definitely do it just the once!

One other point to note. It's is doubtful the Supra shim clearance falls into the narrow range of the 1ZZ shimless buckets available. You may need to have you valve seats cut to depth to make this work or custom valves with longer stems.

I just measured a couple of my buckets, 2.5mm, also know the thickness of a lot of my shims are around 2.8mm which puts that at 5.3mm bang in the middle of the range of buckets available for the MR2 :)

Cheers guys, so you think it's a worthwile mod for soemone running 272's hoping to rev to around 7.5k? Or overkill?

When you work out the weight savings of these (coupled with the crower ti retainers) it's like 500g off the valvetrain! That's some weight to be moving in & out @ 4000 rpm

Cheers guys, so you think it's a worthwile mod for soemone running 272's hoping to rev to around 7.5k? Or overkill?

When you work out the weight savings of these (coupled with the crower ti retainers) it's like 500g off the valvetrain! That's some weight to be moving in & out @ 4000 rpm

Weight loss is quite a lot dude which is good, but you do not really need them to hit 7500rpm , 8 and over I would say yes.

Just make sure you pick the right cams, i have to pay out to have it all done again when i go to 280 cams.

Maybe not dude, we have a surface grinder that we can take some off the shims , you can always lap the valves in a bit more to give you more scope.

I just measured a couple of my buckets, 2.5mm, also know the thickness of a lot of my shims are around 2.8mm which puts that at 5.3mm bang in the middle of the range of buckets available for the MR2 :)

That's lucky, the 3S-GTE doesn't :( Still, that's handy to know for future reference ;)

Hi Jevansio,

Will you be documenting engine build..? What I mean is please document your build..! lol I've read some of your pevious guides, they are really clear and have good images. Lot's of people would benifit..! Plus If you do I will sort you out with some weed...! lol only playing but yeah ur guides rock...!!!

TBH bud I don't think it's worth it for this simple change, there are already many threads on removing the cams, and the bucket swap itself is a really simple task (lift old bucket out, drop new bucket in)

Yes there are but you are such a perfectionist..! Top notch work..! But if it's not worth it then never mind..! What are your future power goals..?

Yes there are but you are such a perfectionist..! Top notch work..! But if it's not worth it then never mind..! What are your future power goals..?

:)

I want to get as much from this T67 Billet as possible, looking at over 700hp, but I'm more interested in what it can do 1/4 mile & standing mile than what power it puts out on a dyno

:)

I want to get as much from this T67 Billet as possible, looking at over 700hp, but I'm more interested in what it can do 1/4 mile & standing mile than what power it puts out on a dyno

Yes...! I agree..! I will be following your progress..! I've just recently started to research for my own personal build exciting stuff..! lol

Do you have any advice for someone that is planning on a single build with 700-+ bhp build..?

Yes...! I agree..! I will be following your progress..! I've just recently started to research for my own personal build exciting stuff..! lol

Do you have any advice for someone that is planning on a single build with 700-+ bhp build..?

Deep pockets and patience :)

I've done a rough estimate on parts alone and I've come up to 10k does that sound about right...?

Is it worth buying second hand parts..? is it risky..?

In my opinion, others may vary, the only second hand part I'd look at buying would be the intercooler - from a respected member or someone you know.

The rest, I'd prefer to buy new, as you know what you're getting.

I'd defo buy 2nd hand parts. I'd rather buy quality 2nd hand stuff than cheap new stuff. There are a lot of parts for a single conversion which are not essential to be new. Hell even the turbo I'd take a low mile 2nd hand version if the price were good & the seller was respected

Manifold, Exhaust, Midpipe, Downpipe, Wastegate are just a few parts in a local area that I would (and in some cases have) bought 2nd hand & not had a single issue with