The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rust on bootlid.

liam1

i have a small rust spot on the base of the boot lid just about were the glass is, the only garage i have been to so far quoted around 200 pounds as he says the glass has to come out,

i have managed to get a 2nd hand boot lid problem is i have a boot build and it will be a big job getting it out to replace the boot lid,

can it be repaired without the glass coming out.

If you have another boot lid cant you just swap the lids over when its painted.

hi jon, the 2nd hand lid is the same colour as my car mate its just i dont fancy taking the boot build to swap it over i fancy some face lift rear lights so might do the whole lot in one go mate.

mine has just started, removing the t/gate is not going to be easy but i will do it over the winter.then into the body shop and glass out, i've also noticed that it is creeping all around the lower edge of the glass.this is the only sign of rust anywhere so im disapointed.

I've not had this problem myself but remember reading that it can be caused by a non-standard rear window seal being used, causing water to be trapped under the seal.

If you do get it repaired you'll have to remove the glass to fix it properly, if you don't it's likely to start bubbling again very quickly. Make sure to use a brand new genuine Toyota seal when refitting.

I remember finding rust on an ex members boot lid. When we inspected the window seal there was a small lump on the underside of the seal, left from where the rubber window seal was moulded. Over the years the small protrusion, in constant contact with the surface, had vibrated it's way through the paint down to metal and hence the rust. I checked my car and it had the same protrusion, but it had not worn all the way through my paint. I cut it off with a sharp blade, seven years later still no rust. If I remember correctly the little lump under the rubber was located a few cms up from where the rubber started to curve upwards on the OS of the tail gate. I have seen the same protrusion on the rubber seals on several other cars. Worth checking the seal to see if your car has the same little bump on the seal.