The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM Engine Management

dandan

Hi All,

I am looking for as much information as possible regarding the AEM ecu as I am considering fitting one, as opposed to something along the lines of the E-Manage.

Been reading a lot over on the AEM forum and was a little put off by the amount of problems people seem to be having. There are also people there running perfectly with no problems of course :)

I know there's a few people her running the AEM, Paul W, Wez, Tony L, fisherjohn.....

Any chance on some feedback chaps, genuine opinions on the ecu related to items like performance gains, idle quality, ease of setup, stock features such as air con, issues with warning lights, use of traction control as opposed to racelogic, any long term problems or niggles etc etc

I am running stock turbos with a normal bpu mods plus fuel pump and a few other goodies. Manual 1996 RZ.

All input apprecviated as I need to make a decision fairly soon - whrther to go for it or wake up and spend or save my money more sensibly!!!! :)

Dan,

I've had the AEM for about 6 month's now and I'm only just beginning to sit down and understand what does what.

Basically I see it like this. If you want to throw something in your car, turn the key and drive it on full boost after a days tuning, then the AEM is not for you.

If you're willing to first of all sit down and read the manual, and then keep reading it until you understand it and then spend some time tuning aspects of your car then I personally believe the benefits of a stand alone EMS such as the AEM far outstrip any piggyback system.

I think with Jap imports we're pretty much at a stage where we've not got any major glitches like warning lights, bad idling, misfires etc. and I don't think anybody in the UK ahs had issues with AC. (Not that I've known anyway) I know John's currently got issues with the auto box control, but if I'm correct in believing the control for the auto box is the same for all types of MKIV's I'm sure it's just a case of setting it up correctly.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask, I'll be more than happy to be dumbstruck and pass you on to Wez :p

Best of luck

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I realise there is a bit of a tuning slog involved, all part and parcel of a standalone. I was more concerned with problems than setup although I appreciate that can indeed be troublesome.

I assume you are now running stock turbos, 6 speed, what sort of boost are you running and what size injectors and fuel pump?

I'm guessing there must be a few stock/bpu Supras around now on the AEM so I'm hoping if I go down this route I may be able to turn to you guys for help with tuning base map to suit or at least comparing certain setup values in the software ?? :)

Any noticeable performance over stock Tony (although you've gone to a 6 speed haven't you so..obviously ;) )

Perhaps we could meet up one evening now you've got it all sorted i don't think I'm too far from you.

Anyone else care to throw any info this way?

kevin huntley has one fitted too. i have wrote off about getting one too. it seems a good bit of kit for long term. with issues with auto`s could you not get a good map and compair how certain settings work?

i have a map of a BL T71 GTQ with 850cc injectors tuned by that famous aem tuner justin. its set up on us pump + race fuel.

what sort of things you get in box and what extras you have to buy. i started to try work out what you need. anyone have any maps of 440cc stock turbos in ttc mode. would it be much point doing it on bpu?

GM 3 Bar MAP Sensor Part Number = GM 12223861

GM 3 Bar MAP Sensor Connector Part Number = GM 15305891

GM Intake Air Temp Sensor Part Number = GM 25036751

GM Intake Air Temp Sensor Connector Part Number = GM 12102620

GM Boost Controller Solenoid

----------------------------

GM Typhoon 3-port Boost Solenoid Part Number = GM 1997152

GM Typhoon 3-port Boost Solenoid Connector Part Number = GM 12102747

a wideband like FJO or AEM for self tuning

Hey Guys,

I have a 1996 6 Speed as well and I fitted my AEM when I only have the second cat removed, I decided on this as I always had the intention of going single and I prefer not to use piggyback, just my personal preference.

As for gains I don`t know as I have not dynoed my car but the sequential turbo operation certainly seemed more reliable and you can adjust all the parameters for when the different VSV`s open.

You will need an ignition amp of some kind otherwise you will get missing on boost over 0.8bar, I went for the HKS DLI, was easy to install and it just works.

As for other sensors, the stock map is ok for approx 1.3bar boost, and a wideband would be recommended but not neccesary.

:thumbs:

Cheers all,

Is the wideband needed to feedback to the ecu or purely for user display and mapping purposes?

The reason I ask is that I have a wideband kit and display already which i can use to datalog and monitor. I'm not sure if it is compatible with the aem for feedback purposes though.

Any idea which O2 sensors are compatible? Is there some form of correction factor table in the aem software for different O2 sensors?

The AEM will accept any sensor output for 0-5v, if you have the calibration info for it i see no reason why it wouldnt work.

You don`t have to feed the AEM with a wideband signal but if you do you can use the feedback functions which allow for auto fuel correction and even mapping.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

just installed the software and loaded a map and it looks fooking daunting, there is millions of options

horsepowerfreaks show you how to set up sensors and help with aem stuff

http://horsepowerfreaks.com/ShowProductsMain.asp?

how do you find tuning the aem

Just be careful, as I think that Fisherjohn had a real problem with a 'set map' from a USA supplier - nearly (or would have) blown his engine!!

Cant say I remember who it as - so not meaning to diss HPF!

Originally posted by dandan

Any chance of a copy of the software Mark so I can have a nose through and see what we may be up against! :)

i downloaded 2 versions of the software a minimum version 1.3 meg and another version 41 meg

on this board in technical section someone has uploaded a map that you can load into the aem software.

its in product settings inside the technical thread

theres a good video of the aem in horsepower freaks electronics section under ecu

I know not a lot.

Would reccommend fitting one of these units though, i am slowly getting very happy with mine.

Points to watch

Make sure when you buy it, it is version 1.03 using cal files, and not the old version using pdf files.

Version 1.03 can be downloaded from the aem site, i had to do this.

There is a jumper inside so sometimes the rev counter does not work - this is a 10 minute fix.

You will need ignition amplifier.

Preferable to have wideband o2 sensor.

If you use a map from anyone make sure you can pull it up on the screen and compare it to a tried and tested one from someone else, the reason i say this is because i spent 6 weeks without a auto gearbox due to a custom map.

You probably need to fit a higher pressure map sensor, 3 / 3.5 / or 5 bar.

My car after nearly 3 months and lots of wasted money is pretty much on line - best it has run in last 15 months since blowing up engine.

For a good base map try to get one from someone on the aem board who is reputable and has basically the same set up and then you can fine tune from their as all cars are slightly different.

The beauty of this pce of equipment is you can go on to do anything power wise with the car and set the aem to suit.

Rgds

Hey John,

Glad you are getting there now, you had some pretty bad luck I know, I think this was mainly due to the US supplier which I will add is not HPF or MVP.

I would recommend sourcing the unit locally through either Whifbitz or Vortex, when I purchased mine a long time ago now it had an older version of firmware which I updated before even starting the car, I then loaded the US stock basemap and adjusted the fuel map for 440cc instead of US 550cc it started first time and I was able to drive it around.