The mkiv Supra Owners Club

180 quid to paint the front bumper?

carl0s

Bodyshop man says it'll be about £180 to pain the front bumper - it's got a few scratches on it and I just want it touched up.

Does that sound reasonable?

Still don't have any idea how to fill the ex-headlamp cleaner holes. He says he doesn't think it'll be doable but James C just had his done!

Guest Malamute

Carlos,

About £95 for the spraying of the bumper and try Walshaw Motor Bodies in Bury - They are good without ripping you off.

I have had three jobs done there on different cars and never come away feeling disappointed.

Gary

Originally posted by Malamute

Carlos,

About £95 for the spraying of the bumper and try Walshaw Motor Bodies in Bury - They are good without ripping you off.

I have had three jobs done there on different cars and never come away feeling disappointed.

Gary

£95 , what do they use ???? Emulsion !!!!! or is it ++ materials ;)

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by Malamute

Carlos,

Gary

thanks mate I'll give 'em a ring. Thinking about it, £180 isn't a lot of money. I just think it is. I'd easily fritter that away on a few grams of coke on a friday night.

joking of course :D

Like someone said a fibreglass sheet across the back and then either (when its dry obviously) fill the recess you should have with plastic bumper style filler or use the resin that comes with the fibreglass kit and build it up untill its past flush then sand it back for a rock hard finish. The resin should only take 15 minutes to dry (mine went solid this weekend in less than 2 minutes which caught me out a bit)

Originally posted by carl0s

duuuuuuuuuuude!

what's the best way of filling my holes?

:D :D

BOMEX !!!!!!:D , any repair will prob not last too long as the bumper is soooo flexible , it will look fine for a while but when the heat gets to it ofr someone nudges it that will be your lot , try and find someone who does 'plastic welding' !!!

what like this one? - Daniella Westbrook nostrils?

http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/images/parts/bodykits/suprabomexbumper.jpg

anyway i thought all the aftermarket stuff was not made of the same flexible stuff and was very brittle?

and what about my active front spoiler? Will it fit back on with aftermarket bumpers?

ooooooooh so many questions!

why would an adequately sized fibreglass backing piece come away?/ surely if anything it would lend stiffness to that whole area?? And by sanding back the immediatte area around the holes you can key a couple of coats of resin into it hirsute creating a gel coat style top coat instead of filler. Would that not be harder than a hard thing??

Guest Malamute

Dude,

Living in the South as you do , I am sure that £95 seems ridiculously cheap, however a good quality job is a good quality job whether it be £95 up North or £395 darn Sarf:innocent: :innocent: ;)

Thats why we have more money left over to buy the coke and beer :p

To go and buy decent materials from scratch to paint that bumper would be over £150 !!!!!

2 pack primer

filler

rubbing down paper

basecoat

2 pack laquer

compound

I dont even know any guys who do 'trade' paintwork that would even look at that for under £200 .

Originally posted by dude

To go and buy decent materials

What about indecent material like razzle or knave?? Very cheap I hear:p

I guess if ya just want a single coat of primer and a single coat of paint with a single coat of laquer then that wouldn't be quite so expensive but to do the job proper style then its more money. Depends on if you intend on keeping the car for eons or just make it look OK to flog!

Yeah but the guy may do very minimal rubbing back and just slap a fresh coat of paint on then laquer it. It will loook all new an shiny but will show up the stone chips etc that were there before. That said there is an old boy that does this osrt of stuff as a hobby and he is doing the entire side of my car where it was keyed years ago and just sprayed not filled for £250 I think he is charging me £50 labour for rubbing it back and filling the keymarks and taking out all my stone chips on that side.

Originally posted by attilauk

these guys resprayed my old mans camper van about six years ago for about £800 and it still looks spanking (apart from a few bits of rust:p ) so i trust their work,:thumbs:

plus they are mates

That will be why its cheap then. You will only be paying for the paint really at that price.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

plus they are mates

That will be why its cheap then. You will only be paying for the paint really at that price.

I had best have a word with my MATE dude then :D