The mkiv Supra Owners Club

installing a turbo on a NA supra (non turbo)...

abtin90

hello, im new to this but ive just bought myself a 1995 na supra manual, it already has a wizards of nos kit installed and a veilside bodykit.

I am looking to turbo charging it...can anyone recommend a complete turbo kit?

also does anyone know how much power the internals of a NA supra can hold?

Thanks any help is really appreciated.

Whifbitz have a turbo kit I believe.

According to a discussion this week, the N/A can hold "alot of power"... not mentioning how much.

But I reckon the N/A could probably withold around 400bhp at max before it needs to be swapped for a 2JZ-GTE.

I could be wrong. But it's worth doing an engine swap in my opinion anyway.

thanks, do you know of any good garages near me where i can get a turbo installed? i live in twickenham, middlesex.

Also do you know roughly how much it costs to have a kit installed.

I found a kit on ebay could you take a look and let me know whether its worth it or not? and if you think its anygood? it includes a gt45 turbo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170403849880&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

the n/a engine can take a fair bit more than 400bhp. but yes due to the high compression it can only around 6-7psi which only most turbo kits would give you between 350-400bhp, to raise the boost you'll have to lower compression by using a thicker head gasket, hence more expence. the n/a engine is very strong and can take a beating.

Theres a few guys on this forum you have already completed or in the process of completing this conversion with good results. just make sure you get good quality parts especially the turbo manifold and down pipes etc.

Whifbitz is near you then in Enfield a bit further away AFR and SRD near Crawley.

thats right, Whifbitz are in Enfield, can get you the kit and install it. however it will cost alot more than the ebay kit, but you get what you pay for mate.

If you are thinking there is a cheap way of doing this, then you are probably already on the wrong path.

Turboing the NA is as pricey as doing a proper single IMHO. Corners shouldn't be cut, and there is a LOT more than just slapping a turbo on the engine, A LOT MORE!

but yes due to the high compression it can only around 6-7psi which only most turbo kits would give you between 350-400bhp, to raise the boost you'll have to lower compression

Which is the wrong way to do it IMO.. the only way to truely lower compression properly is TT pistons matched with the stock HG to keep stock quench area between the combustion chamber and piston.

Your limits on a NA engine is around 650 - 700hp, after that the distributor becomes an issue also. A full standalone is recommended also if wanting to push 500+

If you are thinking there is a cheap way of doing this, then you are probably already on the wrong path.

Turboing the NA is as pricey as doing a proper single IMHO. Corners shouldn't be cut, and there is a LOT more than just slapping a turbo on the engine, A LOT MORE!

See i dont totaly agree as the costs are more or less the same depending on the quality of components used but it definatly aint a cheap way to do it and is a little more complicated.