The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Power Steering

jevansio

I wouldn't want to rush down this route...

If you are hoping for engine power saving perhaps an electronic pump may be a better option.

Wasn't just engine power, but weight too (and something else that's not worth going in to), wanted rid of the pump TBH

Just take the pump and lines off, cap the ends of the lines on the rack, job done.

I thought that racks that were designed to be used with a pump were harder to turn if you just disconnected the pump (like when the engine isn't running) than racks that were designed to be manual?

So how does the control of the pump fit in with the Supra, do you need to take the PS ECU from the donor car & ensure it has all the correct inputs?

Without looking into it in much detail, I'm going on pure assumptions here. The pug one I seem to remember was speed controlled, so I'm assuming there must be some of sort controlbox (be it ECU or standalone). The pump itself should simply be a motor, so a simple speed controller should do the job, based on the speed input, might need a bit of tweaking to get the level of assistance right, but that could be a dash control depending on situation.

That wasnt the question :) Yeah it would be a bitch to park but once it moving it would be fine

I have a smaller steering wheel also which I guess would make it pretty impossible (oh & fat R888's up front :D)

Goning to investigate the electric method

I have a smaller steering wheel also which I guess would make it pretty impossible (oh & fat R888's up front :D)

Goning to investigate the electric method

May have to pop down to the local scrappy and grab a PS for a peugeot, just to have a look :)

Thinking out loud here and by no means even close to being a solution.

Extending the racks pipework is easy enough, local hydralic place should be able to make the custom length pipes. Pump could be mounted somewhere on the chassis leg. Main wiring from high current feed to a high amp mosfet. Mostfet control can be via some sort of pulse to voltage convertor circuit run from the speed sensor.

Ooooooh, thinking even further out the box here.....

Once you remove aircon pump and powersteering, you are only left with the alternator. Nice short belt, now if there was only a way of removing the alternator from the belt drive. You would have a lovely clean engine....

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)