The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Veilside side skirts

dangerous brain

I recently aquired a set of veilside side skirts. After a lot of TLC I have repaired them and am in the process of spraying them. I have applied the plastic primer and am about to put the colour coat on. I prefitted them with the primer on to ensure that if I needed to adjust them I would only scratch the primer if that happened.

My question then is: Do you fill around the gaps ie at the edges in the doorway and around the top edge at the back and sand it in or would that just crack?? Just it seems a bit unfinished edge to me.

dude done mine and there was no filling involved. they are just screwed on as is which is handy as you can take them off in a few mins if you needed to get on a 2 poster ramp. although some people have had theirs filled in. i know michel lanes are

Originally posted by dude

IMO do not blend them to the car , there is a good chance they will crack and it is a monstrous amount of work to ever get them off if you need to .

How are the skirts fitted then, the original wheel arch and intake screws and some trim tape on the top of the sill? Are they secured on the underside at all?

Paul

Oh right haven't used that tape stuff:eek: Also I think I must have used the wrong colour primer or sumething cos the colour just doesn't match at all. Ah well looks like I will have to get the guy that is going to sort the keymarks out to spray them as well. For now its red instead of smashed and white.

They do "sort of" fit straight on. Thing I am finding is that the plastic nut end that the mounting self tapping style bolts go into don't take too kindly to re-use (ie the bolts just spin in the nut after more than a use or 2). These skirts will need a little jiggery pokery to get them to fit or perhaps its just because mine were a tad mullered. I will get some of the tape to prevent the skirts rubbing on the metalwork and causing corrosion in the long term. I will also dig out the crappy plastic receptacle style nuts and replace them with something a little more substantial.

Would'nt recommend the double-sided sticky trim tape to fasten skirt on top of sill as may lift skirt high enough to catch bottom of door. A thin smear of Tiger seal or similar should do the trick. Won't be quite as easy to get on and off in the future but usually running a stanley blade under it lifts it off without any probs.