The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost of paint job?

NOS

Hi guys

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth my while travelling over to the UK to get my car sprayed.

I know Ireland is a rip off....

If any members have recently got a spray job, would you mind giving me a ball park figure of what you paid so as to enable me come to an informed decision?

Many thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yer kopite is right for a loverly job

how ever there is a fanstic painter i used and its A class work, he says he will charge around £1.5k - £2k depending on the condition of the body work.

But hes always booked up for at least a month, he can turn around the job in under 2 weeks!

For a proper job, windows out, under bonnet, new seals etc i'd budget for close to £2.5-3k for a colour change, same colour might be a bit cheaper

I think if you went to a proper body shop with a decent reputation then it would cost more. Saying that I have not managed to find a proper sprayer that is happy to do a full respray.

Give Knight Racer a call, surely there the ones to use being a club trader etc :innocent:

I thought they were only allowed to advertise items and not services now due to their previous mistakes on members cars?

Or wasn't I supposed to say that out loud? :innocent:

i wouldnt reccomend traveling a long way to a paint shop unless they are good enough to get everything perfect first time (which would rule out a lot of them), if theres things youre not happy with that need sorting its a long way to go back,

i got mine done in newcastle when i was in london, then ended up having to travel up there 4 or 5 times which was a real hassle and expense, and the twonks still didnt manage to get it right.

got quoted at KR yesterday at 3k

They dont actually do the repaint work though do they ? i heard it gets done by a company on the same trading estate.

If thats the case its not a good start if something doesn't go according to plan.

With a vinyl wrap, do they remove the lights etc? can't see how they get into all the nooks and crannies. Also isn't there a risk it may start peeling on sharp edges like the arches?

good price though. for just a colour change it would be on my list. never really had a look before.

I wouldn't go for a vinyl wrap personally. You'll eventually have to take it off because it will look naff after a year or less and you would be back to square one with £1500 thrown in the bin.

Go for the proper job, these guys are down the road from me and I have to say their work is absolutely brilliant (and expensive). Perhaps a bit far for you, I'm sure there's other outfits doing proper jobs closer to Ireland.

http://www.gvncoachworks.com/

With a vinyl wrap, do they remove the lights etc? can't see how they get into all the nooks and crannies. Also isn't there a risk it may start peeling on sharp edges like the arches?

good price though. for just a colour change it would be on my list. never really had a look before.

I have just had a quote from a Compnay in Beds for a wrap in Matt black and that was around £800 depending on what body kit I had fitted. I have asked why that makes a difference to price and wait for a reply, but guessing its to do with the seams and curves maybe. There is a guy in Lincs advertising he can do a whole car for £650, but has no pictures of his work..

i would go for a vinyl wrap personally a lot cheaper plus would cost nothing to go back to 'normal' if you decided that chavness is no more for you..

Vinyl wrapping doesn't make it chavvy in my opinion but obviously depends on what style of wrap you choose, a Burberry wrap for instance would look awfull but tiger stripes or something along those lines would look awesome ;)

Break the rulez and dare to be differant :D

I've researched about wrapping cars in the past and I did not get any positive feed back from ppl that have had and seen lots of these cars..! Apparently even the best in the country still have lots of flaws once completed and most likely when you decide to take the wrap off there will be lots of scoring from the stanley knifes used to cut the vinyl and you will need to re-paint it anyway...!

I wouldn't go for a vinyl wrap personally. You'll eventually have to take it off because it will look naff after a year or less and you would be back to square one with £1500 thrown in the bin.

5 yr guarantee with the company i posted the link to, i doubt a normal paintjob on a daily driver would look like new after 5 yrs either but its each to there own and i guess like most things some places will do it better than others

They always do when I call them :p

Is lucky your middle name?

:D

Place went downhill after Victor left it seems

They ignored emails, never answered the phone, and the one time they did answer it, they never bothered to come back to me.

After using them twice before, I never bothered to go back

Got recommended to a local bodyshop in the end, who I can not fault in any way

How about Baldy?