The mkiv Supra Owners Club

In Two Minds

benkei

I've really been thinking a lot about my next car and it seems I'm stuck!

I love Supras, and have wanted one for a few years, but with University, no job, no money etc it was only a dream. Now I'm in a position where it is a strong possibility that in a few months I could get one. HOWEVER. Ever since I saw one back in 2001, I've had a thing for the EP3 Civic Type-R. Also, I've never had one due to cost, insurance, etc.

I've had a Civic Jordan edition VTi and loved it, and I've also had an MR2 turbo, and loved that, although it was a thirsty car (may have been my 'enthusiastic' driving though!)

SO!

My current dilemma is that I would LOVE to have a Supra. I see it as a more 'grown up' car, a big powered Jap car, something I never thought I could own. But my main concern is running costs. It's a 3litre twin turbo, and also a heavy car. My daily journey to work is 10 miles there and 10 miles back, and I'm thinking fuel costs are going to kill me. I only have 2 kidneys, and I need at least one of them to live! I'd thought about an NA, but I know if I got one, I'd wish it was the turbo. I'm in a similar boat with the manual/auto option, but I’ll leave that for another day. Everything about the car I love, just fuel bills are a big concern for me. Which leads me to my other love, the CTR.

Now It's a hot-hatch, and I have a soft spot for hot-hatches. I've seen some anniversary edition EP3s for around £9500. My budget for my new car is £10k max, that should see me a nice example that I can look after and cherish, be it a Supra or CTR.

The anniversary edition has the nicer Recaros, red carpet, red mats and other little extras which make the car that much nicer than the standard one. It's a 2litre, so fuel will be considerably better than the Supra, they look sexy, they can be abused and love it!

My sensible head is telling me a Supra is a nice car, but it's an expensive car and a lot of my wages will go on it, where as the CTR will be more practical and cost effective. And the little boy in my head is telling me I'm old enough now to get a powerful Jap car and not to worry about the costs, just enjoy myself!

Have any of you been in this situation? What are your thoughts? And what kind of wage do you need in order to be able to afford to run a Supra without too much concern on overspending?

Edited by benkei (see edit history)

My thoughts are "Life's too short to not have exactly what you want." I run mine daily for a 5 mile round trip plus business and personal travel. Yes it's thirsty but the joy factor more than compensates. With that budget you could still get a great Supra with cash to spare. Don't compromise - you'll always regret missing the opportunity to buy the car of your dreams.

not gonna get much for £10 m8!

go for the supra, you only live once!!!

Very true, I think I was being a little too optimistic! Have edited it to a more realistic budget :)

My thoughts are "Life's too short to not have exactly what you want." I run mine daily for a 5 mile round trip plus business and personal travel. Yes it's thirsty but the joy factor more than compensates. With that budget you could still get a great Supra with cash to spare. Don't compromise - you'll always regret missing the opportunity to buy the car of your dreams.

That's what's going on in my head. I know I'll love it, but my bank account wont! I just dont want to taste it and have to sell up later on because of running costs :(

I agree. Even thought the fuel is such a huge factor, I just couldn't part with mine just because of that. Once you've driven one, especially a TT, you will not care about the fuel, just the sheer exhilaration of bombing about when you fancy.

Go for it. Life's too short to think about playing safe. :)

Or - if you smoke, pack in and use that extra money for petrol. Same with beer - cut down and pour your cash into the car instead of down your neck! If you want it badly enough you'll always find a way to fund it.

I don't smoke, or drink - only on social occasions. Instead I buy protien shakes and excercise/firness related stuff. I don't want my training to suffer though, it's a big part of my life. I could pimp the missus out?? :innocent:

The thing about fuel is, it's only going to get more expensive. It was below 90p a litre when I first started to drive... Why can't it be that cheap again? Most wages haven't increase to cope either... Especially mine!

The thing about fuel is, it's only going to get more expensive. It was below 90p a litre when I first started to drive... Why can't it be that cheap again? Most wages haven't increase to cope either... Especially mine!

Petrol was about 50p a litre when I first started driving, it's not going to get any cheaper so get a fuel munching monster car through your system while you still can.

If you are weighing up fuel costs even in the slightest then a Supra definitely isn't the best option. A CTR isn't great either though as you need to be blowing the end off the car to get it to do anything.

I get 250-300 miles for a tank depending on length of journeys etc, and a tank of fuel is costing me £75 just now.

My Supra is my toy/hobby though, I have a sensible car as a daily.

Add in insurance and if anything goes wrong and you realise you can't weigh the costs of a Supra (or any older Jap performance car) against anything else. A consideration on a whim is one thing, seriously thinking about costs would tell me it isn't a great idea.

Front crank seal - £500

Tubby's - £500

Servicing - Not including labour and if using good grade fluids etc £100-£200

The list is endless as you will know from being on here for so long :)

Yeh, I've had a good read through other threads regarding insurance and running costs, and taking it all into concideration.

So far I've been lucky with the cars I've bought, they've all been mechanically sound and in good condition. The MR2 tubby was near mint and had a near perfect engine. All it needed was an oil change and it was like new. I'm hoping my luck continues with the Supra should I get one.

If you get an NA supra you say you'd wish it was a turbo...

If you get a CTR... You'll wish it was a supra turbo..

End of! Supra TT it is! :D

:rlol: Quite true!!

However the CTR ad Supra are completely different. I have a want for both of them :D

your gona get a biast opinion on here! lol

if you cant afford it, then you may end up hating it.

but the Supra is probably 20 times better car than the Civic!

your right tho, if your gona go for the Supra, have to go for the TT!! really no point going for NA (unless you just interested in looks)

il agree tho, the supra is more of a toy than a practical car.

i drive a 900cc 3cylinder Corsa as a daily, i love it! only costs 200 quid a year to insure and goes for miles and miles on dregs of petrol.

in comparison the Supe costs me 1200 to insure, and when i drive it (once or twice a week) i dont mind giving it a blast without watching the petrol gauge, as it is just a toy :)

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

Good imput there Lude. I was concidering keeping my current Civic as a daily, but I really don't have the space for two cars, nor could I afford the running costs of both. I'd rather spend it all on the Supe rather than run a shitter.

My main input for this post is a dream I had last night. Sad as it sounds I drempt I had a Supra :lol: and although I love VTEC, and Civics are a lot fo fun, the feeling I had driving this Supra was far better! It just felt 'right', like I'd made the right descision! I could feel it pulling as I accelerated, and the engine sound was amazing! It felt so good to be driving it, I felt very satisfied!

So I think my mind is made up! I'm getting the CTR! :D

The way i see it you can buy a decent twin turbo auto for around 6-7k. Put the other 3k towards fuel etc. and its win/win. 100 miles a week wont cost that much if you take it steady ;)

And think of the fun at the weekends when you see a chav in a CTR and waste him in a 15 year old jap motor :eyebrows:

it was 98p a gallon when i started driving:(

5 miles[GRIN][/GRIN]

Thats nothing, try 100 a day:tongue: