The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi and help me choose

Guest aruffell

Guest aruffell

Hi all, i'm Andy from Kent. I'm 22, nearly 23 (July) and have been driving nearly 3 years.

Until recently i owned a lovely Peugeot 106 GTI that was tuned upto just over 150bhp until a Renault Laguna decided that it needed to have a nice dent in the side and wrote it off.

The insurance company tried offering me £1500 for settlement but i have forwarded on some autotrader ads to them which places my car at around £2900/£3000 so am waiting to hear with what they come up with.

Either way, i was looking at selling my GTI before the accident and was looking at going JAP.

I've been looking at Celica GT-Four's at around £2250 ish leaving me a bit for insurance which ranges from a UK at £1000 and a JDM at £1300.

Then i twigged and thought about a Supra.

Obviously i can up my budget a bit to around £2500 which i believe is going to be way below budget for a turbo version. Am i right?

So i thought about an N/A? What kind of power do they produce as Parkers only list the Turbo versions at 326bhp.

Also, am i going to be hard lucked to find a MANUAL supra as i'm not a lover of auto's to be honest and are all Supra N/A's JDM imports?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy. For that sort of money you will be looking at an NA. 225bhp out of the box and they were all JDM - UK spec cars (93 - 96 only) were twin turbos with 326bhp. You can find manuals but don't discount the auto box - it's one of the best around and you can mess around with the Manual mode. Tons of info on here as well.

Guest aruffell

Thanks for the headsup there Ellis, and thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm guessing i will be best off buying one from here over autotrader/pistonheads due to the history etc...

Guess i just need a bit of advice as to what to look for and what ones are nice in the for sale section here.

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks for the headsup there Ellis, and thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm guessing i will be best off buying one from here over autotrader/pistonheads due to the history etc...

Guess i just need a bit of advice as to what to look for and what ones are nice in the for sale section here.

Thanks,

Andy

Yes better buying off a member if you can..... And as Ellis said dont be put off by the auto box. It is a good unit.

Oh and welcome mate

Guest aruffell
Yes better buying off a member if you can..... And as Ellis said dont be put off by the auto box. It is a good unit.

Oh and welcome mate

Thanks for the welcome.

I have no doubt in the box itself, but i guess it's down to personal preference, as i've always had manuals i just think if i got an auto, i'd be missing the manual.

Andy

mate from an ex owner of a GT4 that now has a TT i can tell ya for £2250 you will not be able to get a good 4 you need to watch out for high mileage on these cars as the fig of 8 go after 70-80 miles and that's a £800 repair bill would recommend you spend a bit more on the gt 4 or get an n/a just for the fun of a rwd car. Both cars are fast but the 4 is faster than the n/a

Guest aruffell

Well i won't be expecting 410bhp from an N/A haha but i think i want a manual still.

Anyone want to help me find one? Closer to £2000 the better, but obviously can go up NEAR to £3000.

Andy

Guest aruffell
mate from an ex owner of a GT4 that now has a TT i can tell ya for £2250 you will not be able to get a good 4 you need to watch out for high mileage on these cars as the fig of 8 go after 70-80 miles and that's a £800 repair bill would recommend you spend a bit more on the gt 4 or get an n/a just for the fun of a rwd car. Both cars are fast but the 4 is faster than the n/a

That's what i was thinking and to be honest, a N/A Supra still looks nice and has a bit of power, so it's my first step onto the jap ladder i guess.

Andy

Guest aruffell
Welcome to the club mate, you have definatly come to the right place for information. Where abouts in kent are you from bud?

Chatham matey, yourself?

Anyone want to lend me their auto so i can see how i like it haha

Andy

You will struggle to find a decent manual for that kind of money bud. They do come along though, decent ones that is. Pigs/sheds are always around for that kind of money, keep your eyes peeled.

Have you had a look at insurance on an N/A import? There has been a few interesting threads on the costs recently.... silly money.

Welcome :)

Hi, i have owned a number of pretty powerful cars and I have to say, the n/a supra is not that quick. The supras are a bit heavy, mines an n/a auto (the 1st auto i have owned and it's brilliant) and I have tried to reduce the weight by removing the heavy as he'll stock seats, spare wheel and other little bits and Its worlds better.

I would say you need around 4k for a decent n/a but their are a few about

Good luck with the search

Guest aruffell

Insurance costs:

Import N/A - £1539.54

Turbo - £1342.90

Twin Turbo - £1037.57

Twin Turbo Import - £2193.69

Ok, that's ALLLLL changed since this morning which is odd.

So the cheapest one for me to insure is a UK turbo.

How much should i be looking at a UK turbo for then?

Andy

Insurance costs:

Import N/A - £1539.54

Turbo - £1342.90

Twin Turbo - £1037.57

Twin Turbo Import - £2193.69

Ok, that's ALLLLL changed since this morning which is odd.

So the cheapest one for me to insure is a UK turbo.

How much should i be looking at a UK turbo for then?

Andy

You want atleast 6k for a turbo fella, and a uk will cost a bit more.

Guest aruffell

I might just give up on cars :(

I kinda wish that guy didn't crash into me.

I'm expecting just under £3k back, but obviously i want to hold a bit back for insurance.

I just want to get onto the jap ladder, preferably with a turbo, but nothing like a Startlet.

It's either, i can afford the car, but not the insurance, or vice versa.

I don't really want to spend over £1100 insurance.

Andy

Guest aruffell

Ok, my old insurance company admiral will insure me on an SZ for £960. Happy days!

So, now to find a car lol

Andy

Guest aruffell

My mistake, they didn't have my conviction on there :(

Any other ideas on cars? I might just buy an old banger for a year :(

Just wanted something a bit quicker than my 106 GTI, a bit bigger and jap!

Andy

I might just give up on cars :(

I kinda wish that guy didn't crash into me.

I'm expecting just under £3k back, but obviously i want to hold a bit back for insurance.

I just want to get onto the jap ladder, preferably with a turbo, but nothing like a Startlet.

It's either, i can afford the car, but not the insurance, or vice versa.

I don't really want to spend over £1100 insurance.

Andy

Insurance is often the problem. You mentioned "Turbo" as one of the quotes, that is more often than not a MKIII too so won't even be a proper quote.

MR2 is the best bet for getting on the ladder bud. Cheap as chips to insure in comparison, you can get a tubby easily within budget and they go like the clappers.