The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What you think? - UK Brake Overhaul

optim8

Evening all,

Just thought I'd share with you my UK Brake over haul I've been doing. I gone for new UK Discs and CW Fast Road Pads, Braided Hoses and RBF600 Fluid. I also cleaned the calipers up while I was at it, repainted them and fitted new Decal Stickers that I got off ebay.

The almost stock look may not be everyones taste but I'm well pleased with the finished result and once they're all beded in should have some pretty good braking, something I've not had to date.

http://www.testpilot.co.uk/supra/optim8Disc1.jpg

http://www.testpilot.co.uk/supra/optim8Disc2.jpg

Are the discs OEM, and how much were they if you don't mind.

Look great btw.

Cheers for the positive comments, going to make a start on the rears next week!! Yep OEM discs, got them from Steve Manley for just over £140 delivered. I was expecting to pay a lot more so well happy.

Calipers, discs, pads and brake lines

The lines are the same, are they not? However, you might as well fit new braided ones whilst you're at it. The backing plates on the j-spec also need modding/cutting to accept the larger caliper.

Darryl, are the UK spec backing plates relatively inexpensive, as opposed to keeping and modding j-specs when upgrading calipers? :search:

I will be doing this soon :D

What did u spray them with?

I actually painted them. Halfords do some high temp engine paint for about £8. It's pretty thin so you need to do a few coats to get coverage, but it does mean you don't get the brush marks. I did about 3 coats to get the finish.

For all 4 :blink:

If only!!!!, just the fronts I'm afraid. Haven't got a price for the rears as yet. I need to evaulate my rears first as at a quick glance they don't look too bad.

I actually painted them. Halfords do some high temp engine paint for about £8. It's pretty thin so you need to do a few coats to get coverage, but it does mean you don't get the brush marks. I did about 3 coats to get the finish.

Thanx mate - they look so good im tempted to give mine a bash before they get fitted ;)

I'm interested in converting to a UK setup just for that extra 'safety' feel, but without the need to go into BIG setups as they'll be no need due to the power levels I'm running

Mate i went out in Gaz6002's single turbo car at Japfest - his car is rapid, and running 550hp - with the uk brakes he had it stopped like a dream.

Unless you go big like Brembos i dont think you can beat the UK set up :)

I'm interested in converting to a UK setup just for that extra 'safety' feel, but without the need to go into BIG setups as they'll be no need due to the power levels I'm running

As a guide for you

Brand new OE UK spec front brakes will cost you approx £600 for both calipers, discs and pads.

Its pretty much the same for the rears.

£60 approx for a set of Goodridge braided lines and £30 will cover some nice Motul brake fluid, do a full fluid change and you'll be more than impressed with the stock UK set up

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

As a guide for you

Brand new OE UK spec front brakes will cost you approx £600 for both calipers, discs and pads.

Its pretty much the same for the rears.

Can they still be purchased from Toyota directly?

Yes mate, if you have no joy with your local Toyota dealer give Steve Manley a call, he's based in Oxford and doesn't need chassis or part numbers and gives as much discount as Toyota let him.

01865 291333, thats his direct parts number at Inchcape

Cheers dude, I purchased my UK Glass lights from Steve Manley a while back. Nice chap even got them delivered to my door :)

Good thing is I'm literally a 5 minute drive from my local dealer, so I'll see how much they quote me for the whole setup. Also, sorry to be a pain but does anyone have the correct part numbers I need? Please :innocent: