The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member, potential owner...

Guest jay_uktt

Guest jay_uktt

Firstly, Hi everyone! :wave:

Ive joined up because it seems like a brilliant place for advice from real world owners. I've looked around on the net for info, but i rekon this will be the best place :)

Im looking at buying a standard UK model Supra TT, but wanted to find out more about using it as an everyday driver.

My commute to work is a 28 mile round trip. It's a mixture of 60mph country roads with no stopping, dual carridgeways with traffic lights, small bit of city center ring road (stop, start) and general 30mph roads. Basically, i'll be doing around 150 miles a week, excluding any weekend driving i do (sometimes none). The journey to work takes me about 45 minutes each way.

Roughly what would it cost me (in petrol) to travel to work?
    How much fuel would i be using in one week?
    Is 28 miles a day too much, or do other people do the same/more?

Now I know that good MPG isn't the Supra's strong point, and many of you will say it isn't the car for me if im thinking about fuel consumption, but i'm just interested to see what people think about my situation.

I look forward to hearing some positive comments :D

:thumbs:

Guest jay_uktt

Thanks for the welcome!

I know its not a really a commuter, but i'd be buying it to have fun on the weekend. It's just that i would have to use it daily to get to work too.

I'm very sensible with my right foot, as a lot of my journey to work doesn't give me any opportunity to really open it up. So yeh, i would be driving it like a slug during the week.

Would it be unreasonable to expect 25mpg on my daily drive to work?

Guest SupraTroopa

I use my supra most days as my daily driver to work, about a 50-55 mile round trip. The drive to and from work is a lot more fun in the supe :)

ps. :welcome:

Guest jay_uktt
I think you will have a long wait to find a stock uk TT

Any reason against the import?

It doesn't have to be totally stock, It's just that i dont like 90% of the bodykits out there, and i dont really want there to be any performance mods. Having said that, i dont mind an induction kit and a subtle exhaust system being fitted.

Oh, and a UK TT is about £180 cheaper on the insurance for me!

It doesn't have to be totally stock, It's just that i dont like 90% of the bodykits out there, and i dont really want there to be any performance mods. Having said that, i dont mind an induction kit and a subtle exhaust system being fitted.

Oh, and a UK TT is about £180 cheaper on the insurance for me!

have you checked with the club insurer sky insurance??

Hello & Welcome To The Club.

I'd say around the £50-60 mark of petrol a week excluding your weekend.

I spent roughly £200 a month on fuel and I mostly use mine at the weekend.

£200 a month on fuel 'hells bells' glad mines used for sunny weekend fun.

Hi and welcome, use mine for work every day, trips to France and had a brilliant day on Sunday at JTS at Silverstone. £25 approx to get there from Boston and about another £20 spent on 10+ laps around the circuit, recommend it to any one who gets the chance, car was unbelieveable. Buy one tomorrow you won't regret it, i haven't. Enjoy

Edited by mallyh (see edit history)

Guest SupraTroopa
I would be doing just over half that. If you dont mind me asking, how much does it cost you each day?

Including a bit of weekend driving about £70-80 a week?

These cars can be a bit thirsty if you tend to be heavy on the right foot, but you also need to remember they need proper maintance.

Regular oil and filter changes (decent oil), rear tyres dont last that long:innocent: at £150 plus a pop.

Although fuel is a major consideration now, just remember these cars are getting older now and really need proper maintance care. Some parts are now showing up regularly as failing, such as crankpulley's, so although they can be very reliable, you have to keep on top of the maintance if you want to keep it that way;)

Good luck in your search, if you decide to get one you wont regret it:D