The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm Problem

Paul Laing

Whilst working on my car today fitting the brakes for 4 1/2 hours we had left the key in the ignition which made the battery dead :(

I thought i'd have to send off the head unit like AJI did but after some jump leads were put on the old girl shot to life :)

Only problem i've got now is the security alarm light stays on permanently and the alarm won't work! So i have to lock the car with the key :mad:

Anyone know what can be done?

Cheers,

Paul

Blimey, not another one !

Assuming you still have Toyota alarm unit........

I did a bit of research and the things I was told to do was :

1) Hold in both buttons on remote key fobs for 10 seconds to re-sync them to the alarm frequency.

2) Turn off the alarm unit with the 'castle' key then turn ignition on. Turn ingition off again then turn alarm unit back on.

If none of the above work then you're in the same situation that I was when the power gets cut off to the security system. :eek:

I took mine to toyota who fannied around for a few days then got back saying they didn't have clue and suggested I took the 'control' unit out and send it back to 'Scorpion' who could re-program it. (Scorpion charge £24 to re-program units).

I decided to get a brand new security system fitted by a guy from over your way Paul. I got a Toad Ai606 system which seems to be working fine.

You haven't disconected the battery have you? If you have then this was my big mistake. Apparently the toyota alarm goes into full security mode because it thinks someone has stolen the car and is trying to remove the system etc.

If your battery simply went dead you should be in a much better position than I was because the toyota system has its own power supply which drains from the main car battery.

Thats all I can think of for now, hope you get it sorted because it was a real pain in the ar$e when I had that problem.

Hi, whats the castle key Aron? Don't think i have one of them......

At the moment the car works no probs, but i have no alarm, or central locking so have to keep using the key!

Anyone know how to get the alarm working without sending it off, i can't believe Toyota designed something so stupid!! What if you need a new battery? When it drains this happens, it has to have a way of working again....

The security light stops on permanently aswell :(

Any more help?

Paul

The 'castle' key should be a little short key with, what looks like little fortresses on it. Sorry my description isn't the best there. But it should fit into the top of the alarm unit in your engine bay and should be able to turn on/off your alarm unit. So if your alarm is going off, you can turn it off using the castle key.

Unfortunately this doesn't de-active and re-set your whole security system.

The original systems were made by 'Scorpion' in Manchester, I'll dig out their number for you tonight so you can ring them for further ideas of what can be done (because Toyota didn't have any clue what so ever when I tried them!).

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys , can u help?

I have just come back from a week holiday and my battery was flat, I had to open the door with the key.

I opened the bonnet and then connected the charger to charge the battery when the alarm went off, I unplugged the charger and the alarm faded, then replugged the charger to see the alarm sound again, I then unplugged the charger and left it for 20 mins, when I returned I plugged in the charger, this time no sound. but the security light is on but the engine does not turn.

I have tried the pressing fob button and castle key technique but no luck

Can anyone advise please.

The standard UK factory alarm (Scorpion system) seems to have major problems when the power from the battery is cut off (or dies out).

It seems to go into full anti-theft mode and as you may have read previously I had major problems with mine aswell.

If you've tried all the actions from my previous posts then you may need a new alarm.

Try phoning your toyota garage first of all... they may have a better idea than my local garage who basically told me to send the unit back to Scorpion for them to re-set it !?!

In the end I bought a better system (Toad AI606) which seems to be working very well.

Also try a full search of this BBS, there may be something that I have failed to mention.

The scorpion system has quite a big drain on the car's battery, which it uses for its own separate battery, when they both die out then I think this is where the big problems arise.

Hi Guys,

Sorted now. Heres what I did, turned off alarm unit with castle key. Disconnected the negative terminal from battery. Charged up battery for about 30 mins plus. Then connected terminal back on and alarm sounded, I pressed the button on fob and the alarm turned off.

Went in car, the security was flashing, I started car , security light flashed few more times then went off. I turned car off, turned alarm unit to on with castle key. Started car and went for a blast. I was one of the lucky ones I think.

THanks guys