The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Rev Reading Nor Speedo

a98pmalcolm

Ok it all started with the speedo being tempramental to pretty much hardly working

Now the rev dial has stopped!

I took the clocks out and replugged them, that worked for a day and now they have stopped again

The temp gauge, petrol gauge and all lights with with in the clusters i.e: full beam, slip control ect ect.... work just fine

On the boost controller im still geting a rev reading and speed reading

Anyone gor any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

You may need to bend the pins on the plugs slightly so they definitely make contact with the cluster connections. Also clean the contacts in the cluster aswell, they can corrode slightly. I had to do the same a few years ago when fitting new dials.

check the plug in the side of the gearbox mate , they are its is exposed to all sort of much that can clog it up. failing that that it may be a faulty sensor in the box . easy swap if it is.

get a mulit meter lift the rear wheel and begin testing you should have a 12v perminent , an earth and the other wire is signal, there should be a low valtage that fluctuates if the car is reved .

if you have 12v + earth but nothing on the signal itl be your sensor thats gone.

if you have all these values you know its going to be a problem behind the clocks

Might be worth checking your gearbox oil as well, my speedo and tach stopped working in my celica a couple years back, turned out somewhere it had decided to relieve itself of its gearbox oil, the firs thing i noticed was that the speedo stopped working, when i checked it, and filled it back up again it worked perfectly :rolleyes:

Think i got lucky not to get any damage from it all!

Guest grifter

A bizarre coincidence. This just happened to me this evening, almost identical to your problem! Only my speedo is out and mileometer/trip meter dead too. Rest of the dash is OK.

I'll try out these tips at the weekend.

Looks like I'll be staying in the slow lane until then ;)

Might be worth checking your gearbox oil as well, my speedo and tach stopped working in my celica a couple years back, turned out somewhere it had decided to relieve itself of its gearbox oil, the firs thing i noticed was that the speedo stopped working, when i checked it, and filled it back up again it worked perfectly :rolleyes:

Think i got lucky not to get any damage from it all!

gearbox oil? thats strange.. would have that thought that could habe has anything to do with it lol...

thanks for the reponse though

gearbox oil? thats strange.. would have that thought that could habe has anything to do with it lol...

thanks for the reponse though

Yeah i know it was a weird one, possibly a coincidence but on the celica the sender for the speedo sits on the tip of the gearbox, either way it saved me a very expensive problem so i though it might be worth saying :D

ok just an update.

I cleaned all my connections on the dials and the loom, and the rev counter is working again and is very responsive (for how long i dunno lol_)

But the speedo still isnt working, do we think it could be the KMH to MPH converter?

Also can some one explain how the hell the rev counter plug works? there is no connections on the clocks just a plastic bit like this:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6769/20100525001.jpg

Rather than sumin like

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9793/20100525002.jpg

Does it send a signal through the plastic or somthing? Sorry this sounds pretty noob like lol

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

I would imagine that both the rev counter and the speedo (in fact, everything in that cluster) takes its input and power from the same one or two electrical plugs. Does that make sense? Both of your photos are from the same chunk of fascia aren't they? There not from 2 different cars? I thought the speedo cluster had 1 or 2 standard-type loom connectors, but I may be wrong.

grifter,

When you said the odo is dead, do you mean it doesn't light up at all or just doesn't increment as you drive?

thanks for the reply stevie.

Well there are a total of 3 plugs that go into the cluster

1 behind the speedo

1 behind the rev

1 behind the temp and petrol gauges

the one behind the seedo and temp/petrol gauges have connectors on the cluster but the one behind the rev counter hasnt (like in the picture), just thought it was wierd lol

as for the speedo not working its the needle that just doesnt move.

It was an intermintant problem some times worked sometimes didnt but now the needle doent move at all!

What on earth is that wire going into the cluster?! That should not be there.

The centre "tach" plug is not used on manual cars, the tach works from the plug above the speedo. That centre one is only on auto cars to light the gear selection at the bottom of the tach.

This is going to be a faulty connection somewhere.. What speedo convertor do you have fitted?

ahh ok so the centre plug is for the auto lights on the auto dials! thanks homer

if its the black wire your talking about its the speedhut dials i fitted last year...

its and ncs-systems converter, iv e-mailed them to see what they think..

it was an intermitant fault now the needle doesnt move at all...

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

ok a refesh with peoples head a lil for some help here.

Ok i unplugged the speed converter and the odo didnt clock up and the speed reading from the boost controller displayed my speed at 00 so i prosome the the converter is working correctly.

After giving the contacts a clean the tacho started working but now has stopped but with no life from the speedo. So maybe a wiring loom issue? maybe were the converter is hooked into it?

Any thoughts will be great.

Thanks

Paul

Ok i unplugged the speed converter and the odo didnt clock up and the speed reading from the boost controller displayed my speed at 00 so i prosome the the converter is working correctly.

Unplugging the speed converter without restoring the wiring to stock will always cause the speedo not to work. It doesn't prove that the converter does work when it is plugged in.

After giving the contacts a clean the tacho started working but now has stopped but with no life from the speedo. So maybe a wiring loom issue? maybe were the converter is hooked into it?

Hmm, an intermittent fault. My best guess at the moment is that you've got a flaky electrical connection somewhere. AFAIK (and this makes logical sense to me) the tacho doesn't work from the roadwheel speed sensor, so it's something that's affecting the tacho feed and the speedo feed. Electrical supply to that part of the loom perhaps? You could try running another earth to the speedo cluster to see if that helps.

• 9 years later...